The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

When I bought my 1972 1850 Dolomite somebody had fitted an electric fuel pump, trouble is it is very noisy.So I decided to fit a replacment mechanical pump. First port of call was on this forum and I bought a second hand pump from a well none source, it was the correct pump but only worked for a short time and then packed up. Then I bought a new one from Ebay which was too long and was sent back.
Then I bought a new old stock one from Ebay but the holes wouldn't line up.
So just before Christmas I bit the bullet and bought one from Rimmers Bros for £54 ( which was twice the price of their competitors and it was confirmed to me that it was the correct one.When it arrived the box said TR7 made in England.It doesn't fit as the arm is curved and the correct one has a flat part on the arm.
Anyone on here know the correct part number so I can source the correct pump please.
Alan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 pm 

Lets clear up the obvious possible confusion. There are two versions of the pump, one requires a spacer and has the long arm. The other doesn't need a spacer and has a short arm. So if you have long arm without a spacer, you have a problem.

Assuming that isn't the issue, I remember reading there was some debate about the shape of the arms on some of the new pumps being incorrect but I can't find the thread at the moment.

For what it is worth I have fitted a new long armed pump off ebay on a Sprint and it fitted but it did require a fuel pressure regulator because the fuel pressure was far too high. As far as i know the pump for the 1850 is the same as a Sprint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:46 pm 
TDC Member

As stated above there are effectively two types of fuel pumps used on 1850's and Sprints:
Short arm, original part number 312167
Long arm, original part number TKC3419 (which my parts book states was introduced around May 78). This type uses a spacer block (part number UKC8523) and correspondingly longer bolts to mount it.

Unfortunately most online descriptions make no differentiation between long or a short arm versions, additionally a lot of descriptions state the pumps are suitable for all years which they are, but what they neglect to state is if they need a spacer or not as the seller probably doesn't know they were used for some, but not all pumps (plus they possibly don't know which type they have).

All is not lost however as the spacer blocks are available to use the long arm version:
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-UKC8523

or alternatively you can just replace the shorter armed version like for like:
https://robsport.co.uk/index.php/online ... 051-312167

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:34 am 

Rimmers assured me that the pump would fit my car as it is suitable for up to the year 1977. But the shape of the arm is wrong I will post some pictures hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by alvera on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:41 am 
TDC Member

Earlier this year I bought a new mechanical pump for my 1977 1850HL from Robsport. It is described by them as "Fuel pump (RKC5051/312167) TKC3419". It fitted and has worked perfectly so far. No spacer was needed. Price is £42 including VAT plus postage.
https://robsport.co.uk/index.php/online ... 051-312167

Last edited by Bumpa on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:15 am 
TDC Member

Here is what I posted on this some time ago. Ideally you need to print out the attatchment and scale it to full size to get the lever arm profile.
HTH.
Tony.
https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... mp#p298859

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:31 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Alan, this is the pump i have fitted to my early 1972 1850 but had to fit a spacer https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mechanical-F ... %3A2334524 works perfectly QFP 33 Quinten Hazell.

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm 

So I understand all that has been said from your posts, thank you.But are you saying that the profile doesn't matter and as long as it is the short arm version ( which appears it is ) it will fit and operate as the old one did.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:24 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
So I understand all that has been said from your posts, thank you.But are you saying that the profile doesn't matter and as long as it is the short arm version ( which appears it is ) it will fit and operate as the old one did.
Hi Alan, you have me mixed up with another Tony (Migwelder) I was just letting you know what pump i used and that it fit's when used with the spacer :)

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:00 pm 

Quote:
Rimmers assured me that the pump would fit my car as it is suitable for up to the year 1977. But the shape of the arm is wrong I will post some pictures hopefully tomorrow.

I can see your issue, my guess is the part manufacturer would claim that it operates just as well as the original, even if the profile doesn't match. Though to my eye the arm on the new one looks too long.

You could try getting a long arm version and fitting a spacer but there is no guarantee if that would be any better.