The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Sprint carbs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:

Originally the front carb has the tube and the rear not. The choke cable attaches to the front carb. I believe that is with all Triumphs, also the big 6's and the 1850's.

I do not know any date or commission numbers when the carbs changed. The 1850's the change was around 1976, early/late. The sprint maybe a year later but I don't know exact dates. I know the early sprints have the screw through the carb and the later ones I have seen or had, had just like the later 1850's the screw in the carb housing.

http://sucarb.co.uk/cf/vehicle/list/?ma ... e=Dolomite

I'm not sure how accurate these lists above are.

Jeroen
It's probably that these carbs have had the insert for the choke cable swapped, like mine must have. That could be because someone got a cable that was a bit short. But the choke cable being on the back carb don't make that carb a wrong one in anyway.

That Burlen Fuels list matches the one in the SU catalogue. So I'd bet it's right. What I don't know is why there are both types of carb, with idle screw through a flange and idle screw recessed in the body, from 1976 on, other than that recessed screw carb allows a tamper-proof plug in the hole. But the AUD 663's seem to be relatively common in the UK. It's not obvious because they use the same body casting as the AUD 545s - I assume it's needles, float chamber tops and such that are different if the bodies are the same. Don't know about AUD 661 and AUD 680, but I'm guessing they are also the same body castings and different ancillary parts, and the body changes with the FZX series.

So, maybe, the FZX carbs are for some market where that tamper-proof feature was needed or expected to become a retrospective requirement or some such.

I was looking to see if the waxstats were fitted to the FZX carbs as well, but I can't find that information anywhere. I don't think the AUD 663's had waxstats, but that's not for sure. I think there was a change of idle screw with the use of Waxstats on the TR7 - also from 1976 -, but it's bin a while.

It would also be interesting to know which specs of carb had the sprung poppet valves in the butterflies and which had what needles, etc. As said, I believe the 545s originally had no connection for the plastic overflow pipe on the chamber top, and just rained fuel everywhere when the float valve stuck open, like they do. In which case many would have changed them as they weren't ever hard to find in scrapyards, in the days when you could do your own scavenging. Ah! But all that's only interesting for information.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).