The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 am 
TDC Member

When I had a look at mine the following picture shows what I could see.

I was obviously a bit concerned about what I might find but as I had caught it quite early it was easy to put right. See photo of the cupped washer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's topical, Richard. We received this from Chris Witor a few days ago;
Quote:
I am in a position to get the steel cup washers re made that are welded to where the upper axle link bushes fit.

Apparently they are prone to rust?

They would be £20 + vat for a set of 4.

Maybe you could gauge interest though the forum, and the magazine. If there is enough interest via emails to me, I will get them made.

Thanks

Chris

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:48 pm 
TDC Member

I do not recognize the part that Chris is considering to remanufacture we or I would need the part number or a photograph to be able identify it.

He can already supply the subframe lower cupped washer that I had to replace if you look at his advert in Dolly Mixture. His are manufactured in stainless steel. Part number 138626SS

Luckily I had a couple spare from a car that I scrapped a couple of years ago.

Post subject: Aye...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm 
TDC Member

The subframe cup washers failing is (was?) a common problem.
Early Dolomites, Toledos and 1500s had cup washers at the front as well as the back
(fortunately the Sprint type bushes can be fitted instead).
When a subframe drops it is held only by the steering intermediate shaft!

The message from Chris is about the mounting brackets on back axles.

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:37 pm 
TDC Member

I was aware that it is a common problem that the cup washers rust away but it did not realize that there was a difference between the early and late arrangement. All my Dolomites have been 1977 or later.

I did suspect that it might be the rear axle bits that Chris is considering for remanufacture. I always give the area a good spray with waxoil regularly.

Post subject: Re: Aye...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:12 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
When a subframe drops it is held only by the steering intermediate shaft!
Back when I was using my old 1850HL as daily transport it was sent to my local garage several times as the steering was so heavy as to be almost unusable and they could never get to the bottom of it. A couple of years later I got underneath and realised that it was because the subframe was falling off!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:57 am 
TDC Member

I thought that I would post the photographs that I took to alert fellow owners to this problem, which can be seen without having to jack the car up.