The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blue clock
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 pm 
TDC Member

I've collected a clock that fits in the Doly dash, and so the Mk1 Stag, at least some of the 2000/2500 models, and I understand some of the Jensen Interceptors. All of which, it seems, light up green

However, this one lights up blue, like the Rover a Ford ones. But they have a different mounting: a raised lug behind 12 o'clock and a screw in the tube they fit in, not the 3 spring clips on the ones for the Triumph.

So, does anybody know of a car with a clock that fits with the 3 clips and plastic ring like the Dolomite, but lights up blue?

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

Post subject: Re: Blue clock
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

isn't it just the plastic filter in the bulb holder, they are easy to change?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
isn't it just the plastic filter in the bulb holder, they are easy to change?
You are quite right, it is the plastic light guide that set the colour on this model, and later ones - it was paint on the inside of the case before that. Some of the later ones, where the hands come off easily, you can easily swap the plastic - though I'm already short a good green one. But the ones like this one, it's not at all easy.

This is one where the front adjuster act directly on the minute hand, which has a silver centre. So that's fixed securely to the minute drive shaft so it turns the hour hand when you adjust - there's a clutch between the clockwork and the minute shaft to allow that. I expect the hands do come off somehow, and I have another with the same hands where the clutch has gone I think, or the min shaft is too tight for the clutch to drive it. So I can look at how the hands come off as I try to fix that.

Also the front bezel on this 3-clip blue one had definitely not been off before I removed it - I did that cos someone had broken the 3 clips off to hammer it into a Cortina 1600E and it needed the Kienzle guarantee expiry device fixing (they call it a fusible link).

So, all in all, I reckon it was made with the 3 clips and a blue plastic insert. And so, maybe a bit rarer than the green ones, even if I could make one from one each of the right triumph and rover/ford clocks.

I've since seen another like it on eBay from a firm that seem to deal mostly in Roller bits, but I can't see any pics of Rollers with a Kienzle quite the same as this.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:52 pm 
TDC Member

I've had a right good go at getting the hands off the mechanism the same as this blue one, and I reckon they are welded on or pressed with that much force I'll damage something if I pull harder.

So, If I was to put a green lighting one in this case, cos at least it would fit a Doly/Stag/Interceptor and so I could sell it. I'd have to swap the whole mechanism from another clock.

Graham