The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi gents,

Anyone else used the front anti roll bar bushes from them? I’ve completed my front and rear suspension overhaul and so finally got round to fitting the front ARB bushes and I noticed that the SuperPro ones are slightly wider than what came out and won’t fit inside the inner brackets. The old bushes measured about 1-3/8” wide and the new ones are 1-5/8”. I got them from Robsport so I’ve got an email into them but was just wondering if anyone else has run into this. They’re for the 21mm bar which is correct for my car and so I assumed the bushes were the same width regardless of whether you have the 21 or 24mm bar. Thanks I’m advance.

Aaron

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:14 pm 
TDC Member

Totally rebuilt my Sprint front subframe/suspension about 18 months ago. I used Super Pro bushes from Robsport. Initially I had the bigger 24mm roll bar bushes (- wasn't aware there were different sizes!) - Robsport swapped them for the correct 21mm ones and they fitted my car OK - no issues. On the whole front end the only bushes that were difficult to get to fit/sit right were the ones on the steering rack mounts.

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:23 pm 

I presume you had no issues with the width of the bushes and the brackets? Maybe the set I got were packaged wrong..

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:05 pm 
TDC Member

No problems at all, the fit was good as you can see from the photo. Hardest bit was getting the outer bracket to stay hooked over the inner while I fitted the bolts.

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:05 pm 

Thats why I only use Chris Witor, never had an issue with Superflex bushes.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:39 pm 

Well, I used SuperPro because I’ve got them in my TR6 and love the ride as they’re among the most compliant polybushes I’ve ever used so wanted to go that route in the Sprint as well but strange that the ARB bushes won’t fit.

Much as I can appreciate Chris Witor as I also have a 2500S Estate, he’s not been responsive at all when I’ve made inquiries to him. Maybe he doesn’t want to deal with sending bits to the US, who knows, but I’ve given up on him.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:21 pm 
TDC Member

That's not the only thing that gives up when using hard Super Pro bushes, so does your suspension due to metal fatigue. I've never had a problem ordering off the Chris Witor website myself and can only echo Justin's words.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:49 pm 

The SuperPro bushes are quite the opposite. I’ve tried many different polybushes over the years and theirs are among the softest/most forgiving I’ve seen yet, which is another reason why I chose them as I am aware that the hard poly stresses the Dolly suspension mounting points.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:38 pm 
TDC Member

I ordered a full car set of Superflex bushes from Chris Witor before Christmas. They were very helpful with a query by e-mail and the bushes arrived very quickly once I had ordered them from the web-site.

As I understand it, these bushes are supposed to vary in Shore rating according to whereabouts on the car they are fitted.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm 

The SuperPro ones are also varied in duro/shore rating. I checked with them direct before I made the order with Robsport.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm 

FWIW, car is back together. I bent the inner brackets open just a hair and the bushes went right in. Weird that I needed to do that but was barely 1/8 of an inch off. Nevertheless, ride and handling are once again restored. Also fitted new ARB end links as had a broken one. One more job done!