The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 pm 
TDC Member

Decided to start stripping my old doors of all fittings as I now have NOS ones to build up to replace the terminally rotten original.
Came up against a challenge on the first one which was one of the rears. Try as I might there was no way I could unstick the quarterlight from the frame. Ended up having to cut through the frame and bend it up to free it, as doors are scrap that wasn't a big issue but how the hell do you do it if the door is a keeper? Only other way I could see would be to cut the (unobtainable) rubber?

Thanks

Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:15 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Place the hinge edge of the door on the ground, wear rubber gloves and put a palm on each side of the glass and squeeze your hands together as hard as you can whilst pushing downwards.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:15 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Place the hinge edge of the door on the ground, wear rubber gloves and put a palm on each side of the glass and squeeze your hands together as hard as you can whilst pushing downwards.
Will try that when I do the other side.

Thanks

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:26 am 
TDC Member

I used to get a blunt screwdriver or whatever and go all around the rubber inside & out, freeing it as best I could & squirt some WD40 in the seals. Then I would use a 'G' cramp clamped onto the quarterlight with a couple of bits of cardboard to protect the glass, near the top. Then pull on the cramp. It sounds ominous but I did it many times on my restos. Just pull a bit then go around the rubber seal again.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I used to get a blunt screwdriver or whatever and go all around the rubber inside & out, freeing it as best I could & squirt some WD40 in the seals. Then I would use a 'G' cramp clamped onto the quarterlight with a couple of bits of cardboard to protect the glass, near the top. Then pull on the cramp. It sounds ominous but I did it many times on my restos. Just pull a bit then go around the rubber seal again.
I tried the WD40 but don't think it got far enough in to do any good. I wasn't brave enough to grip the glass with anything, if I had access to one of those glass carrying sucker things I think I'd have prevailed.

Thanks

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:52 pm 
TDC Member

Keep trying with Alun's rubber glove method. Start at the top of the glass you should get a bit of movement then move to the bottom. Keep repeating and it will come out, once you get a bit of movement add some wd40. It takes a while and is really hard but perseverance will see it shift.
Not tried Martin's clamping method but worth a go, he should know having restored many Sprints!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 pm 
TDC Member

I was told of a tip for getting these out was to tip the door over and get the quarter section into some form of receptacle to hold water. I used an old plastic tool box then filling it with warm water and keep raising the temp. Once you’re happy it’s all been submerged and hot enough put the hinged side of the door against something solid and using the rubber gloves to get a good grip push the glass out towards the hinges. Worked for three doors I had to strip.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Put the rear door with the hings above. Pour some boiling water into the channel behind the rubber. Put the door with the hinges down but watch out for the glass falling out...

Jeroen