The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:49 pm 
TDC Member

Anybody know anything about these: https://www.orthocarex.com/index.php?ma ... _id=314564
The final price, converted direct from dollars is £40.72 with paypal.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)
B&Y 73 Dolomite Sprint UVB 274M (kids!)
1970 Maroon 13/60 Herald Convertable (wife's fun car).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:24 pm 
TDC Member

Pretty sure it is a scam website. Seen them pop up a few times recently. Notice the brand is "Robsport". Also no contact detail at all that I could see. If you google "robsport 149482" there are a lot of matches, nearly all dodgy websites in my opinion. It seems to be the latest trend in fraudsters attempts to separate people from their hard earned cash - stick to well known suppliers - i.e. the club, Robsport, Chris Witor etc. - and avoid flashy looking websites that pop up with offers that look good.

Domain name registered in March:

Domain Name: orthocarex.com
Registry Domain ID: 2600140858_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namesilo.com
Registrar URL: https://www.namesilo.com/
Updated Date: 2021-03-24T07:00:00Z
Creation Date: 2021-03-23T07:00:00Z

You have been warned !!

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:05 pm 
TDC Member

Well I've a pump with a knackered shaft (it was like that when I found it, honest). So I also reckon it's worth risking £40 if, with a £25 repair kit (maybe with another £5 for a SH flinger), I can get it to work again. Especially given PayPal's online buyer protection - which I admit I've not tested before. But I shall see.

And the corollary of "we only learn from our mistakes" is that people who aren't willing to make mistakes don't learn anything.

Graham

Factory 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC VVC 697S (Now all of, but still needs putting together)

Last edited by GrahamFountain on Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:31 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Looks very very dodgy.
Why not just buy one straight from Robsport?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:03 pm 

Contact details consist of what looks like a private msn account, with a Chinese sounding username. Product listed as Robsport, despite no such product listed on their site. This screams scam but it is your money.

My advice is if you must chance it, use a payment method like Paypal that limits your exposure but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:27 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Why not just buy one straight from Robsport?
They don't sell them. They had original NOS ones up till last year, but they've gone. But there are still supposed new, "Exceeds OE Spec" pumps widely available, including from Robsport. So someone somewhere is making them, and therefore the shafts. I don't know if it's the Israelis or not, but they've done wonderful things with Centurions - the tanks not the Roman Captains.

I do like that the suggested replacement for the £10 flinger plate, which is no longer available, is a £270 pump.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
My advice is if you must chance it, use a payment method like Paypal that limits your exposure but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Well it's hardly a "must". It's obviously a gamble. And there's 180 days to dispute it with the PayPal resolution center.
And, like the old saw from Herodotus goes, "who knows what might happen... perhaps the horse will learn to sing".

And it's only £40 (plus a repair kit and some effort) against £270 for a new pump.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:46 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well it's hardly a "must". It's obviously a gamble. And there's 180 days to dispute it with the PayPal resolution center.
And, like the old saw from Herodotus goes, "who knows what might happen... perhaps the horse will learn to sing".

And it's only £40 (plus a repair kit and some effort) against £270 for a new pump.

Graham
Read their terms and conditions !! Believe me I am sure it is a scam site, if you search you will find several more sites all with the same advert, some with different prices.

https://www.tecuidaq.com/index.php?main ... _id=461378

https://www.jrahnamaa.com/index.php?mai ... _id=135688

https://www.blingsavvyz.top/index.php?m ... _id=396448 This one is even cheaper at £34.80 and I love the name "BLINGSAVVY" !!

The advert is "ripped off" from Robsport when they did sell them. Below is the title of a current Robsport eBay ad, look familiar??, Note the ** around the water pump bit.

"Triumph TR7 STAG ** WATER PUMP REPAIR KIT inc. gaskets** Dolomite Sprint / 1850"

You have to "sign up" to place your order. The freepost always seems to be just below the price of the item !!! If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it is a rat!!

When you click through to make a purchase and select "paypal" it goes to another website briefly first before going to paypal - wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. There is no data check on validity of your address or postcode or phone number either - just been through the process with false data to "check it out". A legit site would have bounced my "purchase".

I would say it is more than a gamble with £40, you are possibly gambling with giving access to your paypal account - so if you still think it is worth a try I would change your paypal password as soon as you have completed the transaction.

Of course I could be wrong, I often am :), but in this case I don't think so.

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:08 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Graham
Read their terms and conditions !! Believe me I am sure it is a scam site, if you search you will find several more sites all with the same advert, some with different prices.

https://www.blingsavvyz.top/index.php?m ... _id=396448 This one is even cheaper at £34.80 and I love the name "BLINGSAVVY" !!

The advert is "ripped off" from Robsport when they did sell them. Below is the title of a current Robsport eBay ad, look familiar??, Note the ** around the water pump bit.

"Triumph TR7 STAG ** WATER PUMP REPAIR KIT inc. gaskets** Dolomite Sprint / 1850"

You have to "sign up" to place your order. The freepost always seems to be just below the price of the item !!! If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it is a rat!!

When you click through to make a purchase and select "paypal" it goes to another website briefly first before going to paypal - wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. There is no data check on validity of your address or postcode or phone number either - just been through the process with false data to "check it out". A legit site would have bounced my "purchase".

I would say it is more than a gamble with £40, you are possibly gambling with giving access to your paypal account - so if you still think it is worth a try I would change your paypal password as soon as you have completed the transaction.

Roger
Why is it so important to you to berate me for having taken such a risk, and a small one at that? You said you think it's a scam, and it possibly is. But having said that once, there's no need to go on and on about it is there? If it's not, and I get the part, I'll report same.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Graham

Roger
Why is it so important to you to berate me for having taken such a risk, and a small one at that? You said you think it's a scam, and it possibly is. But having said that once, there's no need to go on and on about it is there? If it's not, and I get the part, I'll report same.

Graham
Sorry Graham, I wasn't berating you - or didn't think I was. The information was as much for general consumption on what I thought was wrong and the indicators that it is most probably a scam site - the scam artists get "smarter" by the day and catch even the most savvy of us out on occasion.

Would be interested to hear what happens either way.

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:02 am 

You've asked for opinions. He's given his - and is trying to stop you being scammed! Go ahead and buy it, let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:19 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

If it is a scam site, it is very elaborate; they list a LOT of car parts amongst many other items. It may be you are buying Chinese copies of genuine items; if you do receive a shaft, I'd try to check the hardness of the gear, else you might need a jackshaft shortly too!

If you still find yourself needing a shaft at the end of the exercise, I'm sure I can find a serviceable used item, I have a large box of water pump components...somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:21 pm 
TDC Member

I agree with most that this looks terribly like a scam..

Why don't you try and contact them using their email address before you order??.. suuy2020@msn.com doesn't exactly instill confidence, and when you click on it from the website it does nothing as well, when you would at least expect to open up an email either in your browser or separately... Try sending one direct from your mail account and select the read receipt option etc and just see. nothing to lose, before you order....

£40 is still £40 but it is after all your decision chap..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
You've asked for opinions. He's given his - and is trying to stop you being scammed! Go ahead and buy it, let us know how you get on.
No, I asked if anybody knew anything. That I only got opinion is no surprise. But repetition of such an opinion after I'd paid for the shaft seemed to me to have an obvious implication.

I may be stupid to do so, but I can afford to take the risk and pay the cost (small as I think it is) to gain the knowledge.

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:52 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
If it is a scam site, it is very elaborate; they list a LOT of car parts amongst many other items. It may be you are buying Chinese copies of genuine items; if you do receive a shaft, I'd try to check the hardness of the gear, else you might need a jackshaft shortly too!

If you still find yourself needing a shaft at the end of the exercise, I'm sure I can find a serviceable used item, I have a large box of water pump components...somewhere...
What's your price on a serviceable shaft, and do you have any serviceable flingers as well? You just know what other box I'm wondering if it's near.

I am a bit worried about the quality as well as its reality. Has anyone tried one of these "Exceeds OE Spec" pumps from the usual suspects?

Graham