The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:41 pm 
TDC Member

Not sure if this is the right section, please move!

I've seen this come up quite a few times on facebook and I think elsewhere on this forum so I thought it was time I posted a mini tutorial on how I refurbished the little filler pieces that fit between the corner of the quarter lights and the door, part number 619669 (same number on both sides), and described in my Toledo 71-72 Parts Book as "Door ventilator filler".

From the factory, the parts are covered in a thin vinyl which is glued to the metal shape. A combination of strong solvents, heat guns, and scrapers will remove the original vinyl.

You'll need some outdoor vinyl (UV safe), the same used for vinyl roofs. This is available from several vendors such as Martrim and Woolies.

The modern material is much thicker (2 or 3 times) than the original vinyl, so the only way it was going to adhere to the contours of the metal was with some assistance. I traced the shape of the metal onto a scrap of wood and cut out the shape using a jigsaw. This took multiple attempts due to my inexperience/lack of care, but it needs to be accurate otherwise the shape won't be sharp.

Once you have a suitable wooden mould, you can glue one side and carefully clamp down the wooden mould in the right area.

After both sides have been done, further adhesive can be used on the other areas and pegs/masking tape can be used to hold this in place whilst the adhesive is drying

The finished article.

Pretty easy and cheap to do. Fairly quick as well; probably a lot less time consuming than disassembling the door to get at the pieces. Have fun with the dreaded weather strips!

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals