The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fuel pump arm snapped
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:21 pm 
TDC Spares Officer

Afternoon all

This afternoon I managed to snap the arm on a replacement fuel pump on my 1500…

Question is…will it have just dropped into the sump or will something more sinister have happened. I did crank the engine once more before I checked an realised what had happened and there were no untoward noises…

Only just put this engine in so don’t really want to have to take it out again but if I need too then will have too… :(

Skoda Superb 4x4 for everyday use...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

You have to find where it has gone, you have a dirty great piece of metal floating around in your engine, I wouldn't assume it ended up in the bottom of the sump and was going to do no harm.

How did the arm snap?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:56 am 
TDC Spares Officer

Thank you for the feedback…

Will get the sump off this weekend to hopefully find the bit…I just wanted to canvas opinion as to whether there was enough space for that to happen or potentially was stuck somewhere else… my friend also confirmed most likely had…

Not sure why it snapped really.. I fitted a replacement new old stock one that I had as the original wasn’t working, I checked the arm length and all seemed good, the arm profile was slightly different but seemed compatible.

It worked car started no untoward noises then stopped… tried again and it wouldn’t start.. did some checks and found it to be a fuelling issue again, just thought I’d take the pump out to check it was working and the arm had snapped…

So can only assume the slight difference in profile caused the issue.. well hoping so and no further damage has occurred…

Will check when I get the sump off…I have a good pump off another engine I can use..

Skoda Superb 4x4 for everyday use...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:04 pm 

They usually fall straight into the sump, I've not know any to cause engine damage. engine out and sump off is a few hour job to be on the safe side though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:39 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
They usually fall straight into the sump, I've not know any to cause engine damage. engine out and sump off is a few hour job to be on the safe side though.
On my 1500HL I used to be able to get the sump off with the engine in - might be worth a go.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:50 pm 

Found this on a Sprint engine I bought

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:49 am 

Quote:
Quote:
On my 1500HL I used to be able to get the sump off with the engine in - might be worth a go.

Steve

Yep, drain the oil, undo the engine mounts and raise the engine slightly from above with a crane, hoist or support bar, remove sump bolts, lower the sump slightly, rotate 90 degrees to clear the subframe and remove.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:57 pm 
TDC Member

I had exactly the same problem with a 1500HL in the early eighties, I think the reason it snapped the arm off was because when fitting a replacement pump I hadn't got the arm and the operating cam in the right place/right alignment.
Also some pumps have a metal shim between the pump and the engine block which is about a quarter inch thick, you can remove the pump and never know it's there because it sticks to the block and looks like an integral past of the block casting. This only matters when obtaining replacement fuel pumps.
Anyway as others have said, there's no need to remove an engine. I got the sump off easily enough and found an inch of fuel pump actuating arm sitting in the bottom. I put it in my black museum where all the nails I've pulled out of punctured tyres etc are residing and exhibited!