The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3 Rear Vents
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:29 am 
Are the 3 vents above the rear screen necessary or can you make a blanking panels and seal them to prevent water from entering

Post subject: Re: 3 Rear Vents
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:33 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

They have a limited pressure release function when closing the doors and when moving will likely have limited cabin ventilation function by sitting in a negative pressure area, both despite the two fairly air impervious membranes both in the vent insert and roof lining itself.

I've never known water ingress through them; that panel does have propensity to rot, but mainly stemming from the friction fitting clips holding the vents in place and the rear lip trim in place that scratch the paint...

If your panel is rotten, the club do a GRP replacement panel which is supplied without the vent apertures having been cut out...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:21 pm 
TDC Member

Being in a negative pressure area is good at the rear, it will pull stale air from the cabin?
Pretty sure I've seen a diagram showing the same, it may be in a workshop manual, will take a look and check.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:47 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
They have a limited pressure release function when closing the doors and when moving will likely have limited cabin ventilation function by sitting in a negative pressure area, both despite the two fairly air impervious membranes both in the vent insert and roof lining itself.

I've never known water ingress through them; that panel does have propensity to rot, but mainly stemming from the friction fitting clips holding the vents in place and the rear lip trim in place that scratch the paint...

If your panel is rotten, the club do a GRP replacement panel which is supplied without the vent apertures having been cut out...
That was pretty much the cause of all the rot on my boot and roof. My solution, after repairs, was to pack the trim with grease to keep the water out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:18 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

That was pretty much the cause of all the rot on my boot and roof. My solution, after repairs, was to pack the trim with grease to keep the water out.
Way back in the late-1970s or early-1980s, when I noticed rust in the areas around the push-on spring-clips (which scraped off the underlying paint) for the trim of my 1974 Triumph Toledo, I removed both before refurbishing the underlying steel & paintwork, but never replaced the trim owing to its propensity for retaining water and dirt. Those areas have never since rusted! :) Although it would nice to reinstate the trim, I would be disinclined to do so, unless a reasonable way could be found that would not encourage corrosion again!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club