The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Tango, Phase II
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:40 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

What a lovely looking car, looks like a healthy engine too. Off the top of my head std torque is 110 lb ft, 164 is about 120 lb ft so up on std, and will sound great on the 40’s.

Very interested how you get on with the 123 distributor, I have an older aldon distributor (doesn’t have a vac advance) with accuspark electronics inside, and new magnacor leads. Works great at the minute, fires on the first turn of the key, but I’m wary of the system….

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I’m enjoying mine in the good weather, and it remains trouble free for the rest of the summer!!!

2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T Manual!!
2021 Toyota Yaris GR-Four
2011 Super Skoda Fabia 1.2 S HTP

Gone but not forgotten 2008 BMW M5 (E61) Touring (George, as in Best, as it likes a Drink) to be replaced soon...... Epic epic car

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:14 pm 

really nice looking car, the stance looks really good, I have just fitted Gaz height adjustable shocks on my car is the any chance you can tell me at what height you have yours set at, from wheelarch to wheel centre front and rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:18 am 

Did you set the ignition and carbs properly? A std used non overhauled sprint engine should have around 105- 108 at the rearwheels. Using webers on a std engine it should be slightly more around 115 at the wheels.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:28 pm 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

The jets could probably be changed out, but the facts are it’s a 1970s car that I only use on B roads in the UK so happy with the curve and the cars tick over and ability to start.

If you are looking to take a Sprint to the next level I would agree you could go as far as you want in terms of modifications.

For me I am happy with its performance and it’s current reliability.

If I want to go nuts fast I get the big gun out at the weekend !! 😊

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:21 am 

Quote:
If you are looking to take a Sprint to the next level I would agree you could go as far as you want in terms of modifications.

Nothing wrong with that. The only question is, is adjusting the carbs and ignition properly a modification and taking a car to a next level?

There are some hp's lost and that is caused by a wrongly adjusted engine. 100 men say they can set a Weber and actually 2 of these 100 can. It's easy to overfuel or too lean out the engine with these carbs and not notice that directly by driving. Does your dyno man has an AFR reading also of the run or at cruising 50km/u, 80km/u and 120km/u?
A too rich engine will wear the cylinders because the excess fuel washes the oil away from the cylinderwall making rings wear quickly. A too lean mixture will have a too hot combustion.

Such a power measure run is done in top gear from low speed in one go to max but doesn't say or show anything how things are setup. It's not about trying to squeeze out maximum power but adjusting all to optimum and as a bonus you will have the maximum power.
A lack of power does show me a not properly adjusted engine what can cause premature wear or engine trouble.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:48 am 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Quote:
really nice looking car, the stance looks really good, I have just fitted Gaz height adjustable shocks on my car is the any chance you can tell me at what height you have yours set at, from wheelarch to wheel centre front and rear.
Hi Series111

Fronts from bottom of arch to center of wheel is 12.5 inches.

Rears from bottom of arch to center of wheel is 13 inches.

I did have the car set lower last year and although the tyres never rubbed it grounded when getting it on my drive so I took it up around an inch front and rear.

I use 195/60s front and rear.

Cheers.

Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:54 am 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:

Nothing wrong with that. The only question is, is adjusting the carbs and ignition properly a modification and taking a car to a next level?

There are some hp's lost and that is caused by a wrongly adjusted engine. 100 men say they can set a Weber and actually 2 of these 100 can. It's easy to overfuel or too lean out the engine with these carbs and not notice that directly by driving. Does your dyno man has an AFR reading also of the run or at cruising 50km/u, 80km/u and 120km/u?
A too rich engine will wear the cylinders because the excess fuel washes the oil away from the cylinderwall making rings wear quickly. A too lean mixture will have a too hot combustion.

Such a power measure run is done in top gear from low speed in one go to max but doesn't say or show anything how things are setup. It's not about trying to squeeze out maximum power but adjusting all to optimum and as a bonus you will have the maximum power.
A lack of power does show me a not properly adjusted engine what can cause premature wear or engine trouble.

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen

I quite agree with you.

We are all different I guess. For me it’s about having the car set up so it runs reliably, does not over heat, has a degree of power near name plate and is usable.

If I was a numbers man I would agree with you completely.

However it does about 1500 miles a year, gets the best oils, is probably over serviced, and a few upgrades each Spring time.

Keeps me happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:57 am 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Quote:
What a lovely looking car, looks like a healthy engine too. Off the top of my head std torque is 110 lb ft, 164 is about 120 lb ft so up on std, and will sound great on the 40’s.

Very interested how you get on with the 123 distributor, I have an older aldon distributor (doesn’t have a vac advance) with accuspark electronics inside, and new magnacor leads. Works great at the minute, fires on the first turn of the key, but I’m wary of the system….

Hope you enjoy the car as much as I’m enjoying mine in the good weather, and it remains trouble free for the rest of the summer!!!
Hi Killysprint.

I can only speak for myself but the 123 for me was game changing. Just takes the car to another level in terms of starting, tick over and reliability.

It cost a few quid but I am glad I did the change over.

Cheers.

Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:46 pm 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Treated the old girl to a bit of bling this week in the form of a pair of K&N filters.

She must of enjoyed the gesture as she went through an MOT today with no advisories.

The MOT tester made me laugh. As he was finishing up a guy pulled in to the test station in a shiny Aston Martin which was next for an MOT. The tester handed the keys back to me and said the Sprint any day. He then took some pictures for this Grandad who loves Dollys.

Made me chuckle.

Attachments:
7E70A866-5F2E-4603-9F7F-C2B37167D833.jpeg
7E70A866-5F2E-4603-9F7F-C2B37167D833.jpeg [ 74.09 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]
9E4BA8CB-6E09-4881-A1C2-22398D6BCC73.jpeg
9E4BA8CB-6E09-4881-A1C2-22398D6BCC73.jpeg [ 135.07 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:04 pm 
TDC Member

Always nice when they sail through the MOTs, car looks nice

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:21 pm 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Gents.

Does anyone know where a seat fabric close to the original Dolomite fabric can be purchased please.

Thank you.

Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:32 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Gents.

Does anyone know where a seat fabric close to the original Dolomite fabric can be purchased please.

Thank you.

Richard.
https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 10#p344510

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:33 pm 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
Gents.

Thank you.

Richard.
https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 10#p344510
Wow !! That was great timing. Let’s hope we can get these into production. Would be fantastic.

Thanks

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:13 pm 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

Caught up with my old mate Will today keeping him up to date with Tango.

Jobs done this year.

1. Front bumper re-chromed and back on.
2. Headline surrounds stripped and repainted in satin black.
3. Rear satin to boot finally getting done with nos chrome trim round the back end.
4. Front lip spoiler being stripped and painted.

That’s all she is getting this year.

Hope the pictures attach the right way up !!

Attachments:
12E2AE9B-6F01-41B8-A138-8416D5F1EA1F.jpeg
12E2AE9B-6F01-41B8-A138-8416D5F1EA1F.jpeg [ 155.48 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
CB9FAC76-06AE-4AB1-B28E-27DA23D18B62.jpeg
CB9FAC76-06AE-4AB1-B28E-27DA23D18B62.jpeg [ 117.21 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:09 pm 
TDC Member

What are you going to use to paint the front spoiler ? I used bumper paint on mine its flexable primer and paint

Dave