The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:10 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

After months of trying to start my Dolomite I finally managed it yesterday. The problem was when I took the distributor out I marked everything up so it would go back in as it was beforehand, I did notice that at TDC the number one plug lead wasn't quite lining up but removed it anyway.after removable I put it back according to the marks I'd made and it would not start again. Yesterday I moved the distributor clockwise one notch and it started. My brother in law says the only way this can happen is if the pulley keyway is worn or damaged and allowing the pulley to move out of sequence.Has anyone come across this before and if so how do I get the pulley off to replace the Woodruff Key if it is faulty.
I said to my brother in law that I'm quite happy that the car now starts but he said it might happen again so best to have a look now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 am 
TDC Member

I've never come across a damaged pulley or crank keyway or woodruff key, even after years working on race engines. Don't think that is your issue.

However, I have managed to get the distributor back in one notch out on more than one occasion, even thinking I was following the correct procedure! In fact did it last week on the engine I have just rebuilt. That's always the first thing I would check if car won't start after distributor has been removed and refitted.

If it works now, then you've cured the issue and I wouldn't touch anything else.

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:58 pm 

Thanks for your reply Geoff, I'll take your advice and leave things for the moment and see how it runs, but if it stops running in the future it will be the first thing I'll check and if the timing goes out again it must be the woodruff key, do you agree?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

They are virtually an interference fit; the concept that either the woodruff key or the key way having worn to the extent the distributor needed to be adjusted by a full slot is totally incredible. More likely the static timing was set incorrectly…

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:35 am 
TDC Member

I have to agree, it won't be the woodruff key. It would take a hell of a lot of torque to shift that. As said, it's probably the dizzy has been put back in a tooth out. I've done it before.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450