The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Servo faults
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:28 pm 
TDC Member

When carrying out basic tests on my rebuilt Sprint I discovered that there was a clearly audible hiss ( in the cab ) when the brakes were applied. Despite a rebuild sometime ago (by others) I presumed that this was a puncture of the diaphragm.
I ordered a new servo from our friends in Lincoln which duly arrived BUT with the Yoke that connects to the pedal being shouldered and about an 1/8" too wide, which means that it would not fit the pedal. The yoke is threaded onto the rod from the servo. I am promised a modified yoke.
Has no one else had this problem? The old yoke is welded onto the shaft so not easily changed. I think all Dolomite brake pedals are the same.
This was a mixed blessing as I discovered that NO Clevis pin had been fitted!!
Bob

Post subject: Re: Servo faults
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:17 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The supply of new servos from Lincoln is a recent development; sounds as if your experience may be part of the R & D process…!

If the only issue with your original unit is a vacuum leak and the Bakelite piston isn’t damaged, it could be refurbished. The Club does an exchange service.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:13 pm 
TDC Member

Helpful attitude from our friends in Lincoln but no solution to date.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:59 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:

Bob
You're more patient with them than I would be. I would have thought that they would actually check a part fitted the car it was supposedly made for before putting it on the market or is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:39 am 
TDC Member

I've been "waiting" since 2018 for them to sort out a quality issue with some parts. (Actually that's a lie, I gave up waiting long ago and modified the parts to fit because I had no other option, but I've kept chasing them via email sporadically and never had anything more meaningful than "we are taking it up with the supplier" )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:14 pm 

Quote:
I've been "waiting" since 2018 for them to sort out a quality issue with some parts. (Actually that's a lie, I gave up waiting long ago and modified the parts to fit because I had no other option, but I've kept chasing them via email sporadically and never had anything more meaningful than "we are taking it up with the supplier" )
I can understand why you did that, life is too short but it is why too many suppliers are getting away with selling substandard parts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:10 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
I can understand why you did that, life is too short but it is why too many suppliers are getting away with selling substandard parts.
I gave them a load of hassle at the time and like I say I've chased them sporadically since. On multiple occasions I've returned items to that particular supplier as "not as described" or "unfit for purpose" to be met with a metaphorical shrug and a refund. But that situation was - no rear springs for the Dolomite, ones supplier don't fit the top caps. Triumph club event coming up in less than a week and they need fitting ASAP. (At this point the ones supplied were there second attempt to fulfill the order with fit for purpose parts) I hunted around and couldn't find any alternative suppliers..... stuck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:20 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

Bob
A Follow up phone call reveals that so far all the stock they have checked is wrong. What did the previous 10 purchasers do to make the servo fit the pedal? The servo is specific to Dolomites. Lincoln will have to sort out the remaining units. In the mean time I have a credit note as compensation and thanks to the help of a neighbour who just happens to have a fully equiped workshop, I now have a superior yoke made out of solid Ali.
Noticed that no shims were fitted to the top of the front suspension! Too much neg camber!
Now to test the trackerjack conversion.
Bob

You're more patient with them than I would be. I would have thought that they would actually check a part fitted the car it was supposedly made for before putting it on the market or is that too much to ask?

r.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:32 pm 

Chris Curtis (Southern are rep) found a company that supply exchange units even if the Bakelite part is damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:34 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Chris Curtis (Southern are rep) found a company that supply exchange units even if the Bakelite part is damaged.
Did he ever receive one from them though? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:10 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Did he ever receive one from them though? :wink:
I'm sure he did. i have just text him to ask