The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi to all of the members/readers.

I am new to this club and forum and this is my first post.

I am the owner of a dolomite sprint that is currently being built into a Group 1 "Works" car recreation. It will look very similar to the Andy Rouse, Steve Thompson 1976 Works (Broadspeed) Leyland cars.

I'm not too sure how many people are interested in this build but happy to share the story so far. Quite a bit of the information and photographs are on our website www.classicworkz.co.uk.

I bought the original car from a trader in Essex earlier this year, who said he had taken it in part exchange. There was little bit of history and established that the car was a 1975 British Racing Green (colour 75), it left the country for 3 years and then registered back in the UK in 1978. It was originally a beige interior but a previous owner installed a black one. The Reg is HHV 733N, believed to have been owned by someone around the Reading area. I would love to hear more about it's past if anyone knows the car.

After being fully stripped and the body sorted out, including a sunroof delete, the car is now white and being liveried in red and blue in next couple of weeks. It also has a new vinyl roof.

The engine has been fully rebuilt with twin 48 Webers, as has the gearbox, overdrive, rear axle, brakes, suspension, braided lines for brakes and fuel; fully rewired with thin wall and black braid, Cartek switch panel. New door cards and wood capping. Safety Devices roll cage, new Corbeau Revenge carbon fibre seat, foam filled bespoke fuel tank, extinguisher and electrical shut off.

It should be raced in the Classic Touring Car Racing Club next season (2022), shakedowns and successful testing permitting.

If there is any interest I will post some more information and some photos of the build so far.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:35 pm 

Yes please. The more info and photos the better! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:58 pm 
TDC Member

Yes, most definitely interested.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:17 pm 
TDC Member

https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... 34&t=34906

HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:02 am 

Greatly interested in this thread :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:31 am 

Rule number one. Shotpeene to add strenght. Those angle grinder surfaces of the rods will have these break when driven seriously. A nice collection of parts but also a nice collection of missed opportunities to have a reliable engine.

Maybe your first post should be a bit earlier here.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:20 pm 

Hello again,

Firstly thanks for the interest, information and constructive criticism.

Also thanks to Mig Wielder, yes was is that nice green car with the silver stripes.

I do not get lots of opportunity to post, so it will probably be weekends and I will put some further info together then.

I fully understand Jeroen's comments and fully agree polishing, shotpeening and destressing the rods is important but will run the existing rods for the time being as they are in the motor and we know it is going to break somewhere and at some point. I am currently and hopefully having some rods made, the man said he would do them in the next 8 weeks. I have 3 engines and we are fully prepared to build again, and again if necessary. There will be lots of learning along the way, which is part of the fun. We do do some strange and unconventional things at our place, which is part of the fun as well, like this engine start up

https://youtu.be/XzgKqFjdjy0

I have already taken some great advice from some very nice and knowledgeable people, Rob McGregor, Ken and Tim Clarke, Bill Eales (Brother of John), Chesman Motorsport, Coventry Classic Engines and my work partner Brian King to name but a few. There are a few different opinions on some of the finer things, so we'll test and learn. There are a few local, Coventry, old boys that we know that were at the "Standard" Canley back in the day, including Brian. So, opinions and advice are plentiful.

The car is at the electricians at the moment and we should get it back on Saturday, all being well.

I'll put some more info together then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:23 pm 

Fantastic project and great to see it's Keith's old car re-imagined - it was featured in Fast Car back in the day.

Love the new look.