The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:23 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

You may have noticed two ebay sellers have listed accelerator rubbers today with quantities stated as being more than 10: ANG Triumph and Yorkshire Trade Windscreens; clearly someone has commissioned a run of them. They're selling at fixed prices of £24.95 and £29.50 respectively, both postage inclusive, so I'll just remind folk that with them having been unavailable for a long time, the Club commissioned a run of these a few years ago and our price is a comparatively very reasonable £18.00 inclusive of postage and we have good stock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:31 pm 
TDC Member

That's a timely reminder as I need one, will there be any available at the NEC tomorrow?
If not I'll get one ordered.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:43 pm 

I don't believe any parts have been taken to the NEC Tony, certainly none that I have custody of and I don't think any others have been taken either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
That's a timely reminder as I need one, will there be any available at the NEC tomorrow?
If not I'll get one ordered.
Sorry, we will not be selling anything on the Club stand this weekend in order to protect the kind volunteers who have offered to man the stand for the weekend.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:23 am 
TDC Member

Good idea👍

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:55 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Didn't know these were difficult to get hold of, don't remember any problems finding them.

Now if anyone knows someone who does the correct bootlock gasket because I can't find one of those for love nor money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Didn't know these were difficult to get hold of, don't remember any problems finding them.
They're unique to the model, hence why we invested Club funds in having them re-manufactured.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:56 am 

Baines have now also remanufactured them and are supplying many retailers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:25 pm 
TDC Member

I was going to say that Baines have started manufacture of these. They have also started manufacture of rubber exhaust hangers as well for Dolomites.
They appear to make quality parts , is there chance of them producing other rubber based parts for our cars ? They produce stuff for the big Triumphs so they are willing to produce for small product runs.

Old red.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:25 pm 

Quote:
I was going to say that Baines have started manufacture of these. They have also started manufacture of rubber exhaust hangers as well for Dolomites.
They appear to make quality parts , is there chance of them producing other rubber based parts for our cars ? They produce stuff for the big Triumphs so they are willing to produce for small product runs.

Old red.
I'm sure they could, but they may yet be disappointed as to how small a niche market our cars provide; in a little over four years, we've managed to sell a grand total of 27 accelerator pedal rubbers to our members. If we manage to sell the remaining 13 we have in stock, now that the market is flooded, the Club will just about break even on the investment we made. Fortunately, our price remains competitive to most, and comparable to the cheapest I've seen advertised thus far

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:43 pm 

Quote:
Baines have now also remanufactured them and are supplying many retailers
They are selling them retail for £10.50 and supplying another well know Lincoln based company who sell them for double that price.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:49 pm 

Looking at some of the multiple listings on ebay, it would seem that quite a few of these have now been sold, despite Baines selling direct to public for far less!

It does make me wonder though about how familiar members are of the items the Club has commissioned and sells?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:13 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Old red.
I'm sure they could, but they may yet be disappointed as to how small a niche market our cars provide; in a little over four years, we've managed to sell a grand total of 27 accelerator pedal rubbers to our members. If we manage to sell the remaining 13 we have in stock, now that the market is flooded, the Club will just about break even on the investment we made. Fortunately, our price remains competitive to most, and comparable to the cheapest I've seen advertised thus far
To fair a pedal rubber isn't like a set of tyres, they don't wear out that quickly, so they are hardly likely to sell them in vast quanities.

Saying that, I find the economics of classic car parts baffling. With only a few hundred vehicles on the road for some models, I can't work out how supplies ever get the investment in tooling back, let alone make a profit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old red.
To fair a pedal rubber isn't like a set of tyres, they don't wear out that quickly, so they are hardly likely to sell them in vast quanities.

Saying that, I find the economics of classic car parts baffling. With only a few hundred vehicles on the road for some models, I can't work out how supplies ever get the investment in tooling back, let alone make a profit.
moulds for rubber parts such as peddle rubbers can be made fairly cheaply and the process of making the items isnt that bad, maybe a few hundred ££ all in
its when you need tested safety critical or prone to wear parts the costs get high

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:16 pm 

Quote:
You may have noticed two ebay sellers have listed accelerator rubbers today with quantities stated as being more than 10: ANG Triumph and Yorkshire Trade Windscreens; clearly someone has commissioned a run of them. They're selling at fixed prices of £24.95 and £29.50 respectively, both postage inclusive, so I'll just remind folk that with them having been unavailable for a long time, the Club commissioned a run of these a few years ago and our price is a comparatively very reasonable £18.00 inclusive of postage and we have good stock.
My 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special" wasn't factory-fitted with an accelerator-pedal rubber, so when I came across one on a Triumph 1300, 1500 or Dolomite at the local car breaker's yard a few decades ago, I threw it in as part of the job-lot of bits & pieces I was salvaging. In practice, it probably cost me nothing or next-to-nothing!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club