The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:49 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

I am going to have to remove the gearbox to get it fixed. It seems generally accepted that you replace the clutch whenever the gearbox is out. Good idea?

Are there any tips for a successful clutch change?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:51 am 

Quote:
I am going to have to remove the gearbox to get it fixed. It seems generally accepted that you replace the clutch whenever the gearbox is out. Good idea?

That is a general idea of workshops selling you an extra clutch change. Like changing waterpumps and tensioners also at Japanese cars when changing the cambelt.

It's easy to take it off and check if all is ok. A good clutch isn't cheap so why change it when it's in good order. The 80-100 gbp clutch sets available on ebay or at classic carparts sellers aren't good clutches. Your half worn decent clutch will still be way better than such new ones currently available. Don't let old names fool you. The Borg and Beck now new available again is nothing more than a cheap flimsy clutch with an old name on the box and has nothing to do with the original of 30 years ago. A proper branded clutch set will be around 200 gbp.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:54 pm 

Quote:
That is a general idea of workshops selling you an extra clutch change. Like changing waterpumps and tensioners also at Japanese cars when changing the cambelt.
The challenge is to get an honest repairer who will tell you the clutch's state. I have had problems with cheap clutches in the past which is why I asked the question.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:53 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

Hi David, I see you have had the car for a long time ! Respect ! as the younger generation would say. I get about 60,000 miles out of my 1850 driven plate clutches so you could probably judge based on your mileage.
You can certainly inspect the clutch-cover release levers where the release bearing bears on it and see if the clutch-cover could do with replacing.
It would probably be worth replacing the pilot bearing in the back of the crank if its not been done before. I used the phosphor bronze version 150763 but there is a needle roller version UKC 8154 available as well.
And most importantly clean off the clutch fork and inspect for cracking around the pivot points. This is a known 1850 weak point as you probably know, and will leave you with a very low clutch biting point and difficult gear selection depending how it fails.
The clutch fork is compatable with the Vitesse and GT6 . I got mine from E-Bay.

If you can find a local classic friendly garage then that would be a plus point. I can recommend 2 in Berks;

Good Luck with it,
Tony.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the useful advice. I cannot be sure of the kilometres the car has done. The odometer currently shows 70,000, but I am not sure whether it has been around once or twice. I drove it every day for 15 years when I first got it so may have covered some distance. I will have to go back through my records and see what I can track down. It has not been driven to the same extent ever since, a few times a week and mostly short trips.

It is a bit clunky getting into first and sometimes second, but then it has been like that for a very long time. I will make sure the clutch fork is ok though.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:48 pm 

if you are removing the gearbox yourself to get it fixed (whats the fault with the gearbox?) then the repairer won't even see the clutch.

Assess the clutch condition yourself by visual inspection, its quick and easy job to replace if the gearbox has already been removed anyhow, buy a cheap clutch alignment tool of ebay for a fiver.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:51 pm 

Quote:
if you are removing the gearbox yourself to get it fixed (whats the fault with the gearbox?) then the repairer won't even see the clutch.
Described elsewhere here. It seems there may be a problem with the layshaft.
Quote:
Assess the clutch condition yourself by visual inspection, its quick and easy job to replace if the gearbox has already been removed anyhow, buy a cheap clutch alignment tool of ebay for a fiver.
Actually, now I remember, alignment was the problem I was thinking of.