The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Yikes!
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:24 pm 
TDC Member

Well, what started off as a hole in the chassis leg soon grew legs. Chipping away the sound deadening in the footwell revealed this horror story.
Plenty of work ahead here!
The Lidl plasma cutter worked well, I just had to make sure anything flammable was removed or shielded.

Attachments:
plasma cutter.JPG
plasma cutter.JPG [ 231.36 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]
patch.jpg
patch.jpg [ 111.87 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]
rusty bit.JPG
rusty bit.JPG [ 96.85 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]
dolly floor.JPG
dolly floor.JPG [ 117.39 KiB | Viewed 603 times ]

Post subject: Re: Yikes!
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:05 pm 
TDC Member

That's gonna be a bit of a "project" to repair! So unfair, now I want a plasma cutter!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:52 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Yep by the time you can see rust, there will be masses of it hidden away. Mine was actually worse than that because a professional had already attempted a repair and it was a disaster. They just platted over the rust, thanks to the way they did it the bulkhead wasn't actually attached to the inner wing anymore.

I get that garages are under pressure to get cars through MOTs and do work as cheaply as possible but some of the welding I have seen done my so call professionals is downright dangerous.

Anyway good luck with the repair, the good news is that isn't a particularly difficult spot to fix, so you should be OK.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:14 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I get that garages are under pressure to get cars through MOTs and do work as cheaply as possible but some of the welding I have seen done my so call professionals is downright dangerous.
Without wishing to thread hi-jack... I've seen "professional" repairs done with aluminium road sign, pop rivets and a skim of filler in structural areas. Between that and being tight-fisted it's one of the reasons I do almost everything on my cars myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:08 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I was tempted by the Lidl plasma cutter, just because, but fortunately my local store didn't have any when I called in

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:05 pm 

Quote:
I was tempted by the Lidl plasma cutter, just because, but fortunately my local store didn't have any when I called in
Lidl had one? Annoying I missed that because I have always wanted one. Seems allot more precise than an angle grinder and a cutting disk.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:24 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Lidl had one? Annoying I missed that because I have always wanted one. Seems allot more precise than an angle grinder and a cutting disk.
The Lidl plasma cutter had a build in compressor, but you still have to clean the slag after you make a cut

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:00 pm 
TDC Member

The plasma is way better than an angle grinder in confined spaces. You have to make sure there is nothing flammable behind the piece you are cutting. I shielded everything with some steel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:23 pm 
TDC Member

Well over a year since I started hacking away at the SE, here's a quick update. I had to replace a vast amount of steel, one bit at a a time to avoid distortion. Might get it finished before the next Ice Age.
PS those welds may not be pretty but they are STRONG. You won't see them when its finished.