The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:40 pm 
TDC Member

12 years and over 25,000 reliable miles later, it is time for some running TLC repairs on my Brooklands Green Dolly 1300. The original exhaust is starting to break away from the back box and the boot floor under the petrol tank is quite moth-eaten. Petrol tank itself is fuel-tight but the bottom of it feels quite crusty so I will take the opportunity to either repair // replace the tank when the boot floor is repaired. I see an aftermarket tank is on offer by Chris Witor but price is steep due to the dreaded Brexit and sterling - euro conversion. Any recommendations on stainless exhausts and have any Dolly 1300 owners fitted them -any issues with the shape/fit? Also need to purchase repair panel for boot floor (under-tank section). Living in Ireland so dreaded Brexit is no help regarding extra costs/delays but needs must!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:33 pm 
TDC Member

There is currently nobody supplying a decent panel for the under tank area of the boot floor. All the ones on sale are folded rather than pressed and are, in my opinion, not worthy of consideration. I would suggest you start looking for a good secondhand panel. The club does good repair panels for the areas butting up to the wheelarches so you don't have to find a totally rot free specimen.

Sean

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:28 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I am in the process of looking at manufacture of various short run press tools, ie those which will wear out after a couple of dozen pressings on the basis it is far cheaper to have another non-ferrous tool made if we need more compared to having a steel tool made which would last a lot longer.

I am waiting to hear from the fabrication shop as I type; I have already committed to having my new old stock boot floor panel tank well section and the front part of a front wing scanned and digitised, it is just material choice and costs for the tools to be agreed.

I cannot at this stage give timescale...