The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Engine Bearings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:34 pm 
TDC Member

Are big end and main bearings the same from 1850 and TR7 ? and where's best to buy them from

Dave

Post subject: Re: Engine Bearings
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:44 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Yes they are.

Tri-Metal are the best, look for brands such as Vandervel, Glacier AE or Clevite. I have some sizes of these on the shelf

New old stock come up from time to time on ebay, or you could chance King brand though often you'll find County brand in King boxes...

Last edited by xvivalve on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:43 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Yes they are.

Trim-Metal are the best, look for brands such as Vandervel, Glacier AE or Clevite. I have some sizes of these on the shelf

New old stock come up from time to time on ebay, or you could chance King brand though often you'll find County brand in King boxes...
Alunn

Thanks, cant see any sizes on the original bearing there VP so think they must be standard size, if you have both big ends and mains tell me know

thanks Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:41 am 
TDC Member

Just a Quick thought can a crankshaft bend slightly but still turn okay, my reasons are number 3 big end bearing is worn a little looks as if it got warm ? and number 3 main bearing is a very loose fit in the main cap ?

All other bearings look okay ?

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:21 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Just a Quick thought can a crankshaft bend slightly but still turn okay, my reasons are number 3 big end bearing is worn a little looks as if it got warm ? and number 3 main bearing is a very loose fit in the main cap ?

All other bearings look okay ?

Dave
Yes and easy to correct with a big hammer.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:01 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
Yes they are.

Trim-Metal are the best, look for brands such as Vandervel, Glacier AE or Clevite. I have some sizes of these on the shelf

Alunn

Thanks, cant see any sizes on the original bearing there VP so think they must be standard size, if you have both big ends and mains tell me know

thanks Dave
Usually oversized bearings are marked as such, some brands also mark standard as such, so it sounds as if your's are standard; if in doubt, measure the crank journal diameters. They should be 2.1260 to 2.1265 inches for the mains and 1.75 to 1.7505 inches for the crankpin.

I have Australian made BapGeon brand bearings for the big ends and Israeli made (better quality old stock) King brand for both in standard size