The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Paint Code
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:44 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi can anyone tell me what the Ral paint code is for my triumph 1500 fwd
Paint Code 96 Sapphire Blue
Regards David

Post subject: Re: Paint Code
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:51 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

There is unlikely to be a direct comparative RAL code for the Triumph code. RAL is a relatively limited range of colours, most commonly used in the powder coatings industry. I can compare a swatch I have with my sapphire Sprint in daylight to let you know what is close...maybe 5003 or 5013...but neither will be exact.

If your paint shop cannot source the recipe for Triumph code 96, I'd suggest trying a different (better) paint shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:54 pm 

I echo aluns comment, any decent paint shop will be able to make the corect colour from the Tiumph paint code

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:15 pm 

Thank you all i have got it done off the paint code 96

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:59 pm 

One word of caution, I have found that there is sometime more than one colour linked to a code, at least when it comes to BL and its component companies.

For instant I am painting mine Carmine Red and I have seen at least three versions of this with similar codes. One was more purple than red, then there is the correct red and there is also a darker Rover colour with a similar code.

I am have actually gone with the Rover version of Carmine because I prefer it but that only works if you're doing a full respray.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:18 pm 

Quote:
One word of caution, I have found that there is sometime more than one colour linked to a code, at least when it comes to BL and its component companies.

For instant I am painting mine Carmine Red and I have seen at least three versions of this with similar codes. One was more purple than red, then there is the correct red and there is also a darker Rover colour with a similar code.

I am have actually gone with the Rover version of Carmine because I prefer it but that only works if you're doing a full respray.
There may be different carmine reds just as there are several old English whites but if you ask for Triumph code 96 there is only one Triumph 96, if its wrong its either been mixed wrong or the car has been resprayed previously.
Rover did have a habit of using Triumph paint codes but using a different base shade so it will mix darker.