The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sprint Front Door Lock
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:04 pm 
TDC Member

I have an early Sprint and have been having difficulty with the door opening mechanism when opening from the outside so have taken the workings out to get a closer look at the issue.

What I have noticed on the lock is that 3 of the 4 clip locations have nice round holes and the clip fits perfectly thus allowing a nice snug fit when rods inserted. However on the 4th which is the one that operates from the outside door handle being depressed, the clip locator is not round but elongated and as such this clip won’t stay in position to allow the metal rod to locate… Have tried old and new clips but being elongated it just won’t stay in place. I have some later locks that have all 4 circles so I assume that the elongated ones were for early cars? Spares book not too helpful with this either in terms of a view.

Typically I don’t have the one I need, so before I look to get one I wandered if anyone had come across this problem and if a fix of sorts was possible or whether a different clip is needed… Parts book and supplier sites suggest that it is one and the same clip, part code 627360 which I have.

I have put a rubber grommet in place to try and hold it but its internal diameter is a little too wide to keep it in place happily so going to see if i have any others as well.. Couple of pics of lock in situ within the grommet and clips tried attached.

Any views appreciated.

James

Attachments:
20220717_173513.jpg
20220717_173513.jpg [ 110.89 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
20220717_175736.jpg
20220717_175736.jpg [ 236.41 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]