The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:02 am 
TDC Member

I painted my Elan in International Yacht Paint (ideal for fibreglass) with a brush, then flatted it and polished it by hand. Looked fabulous. Then I sold it - the only car I made a profit on.

Attachments:
Small.jpg
Small.jpg [ 107.77 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Following deterioration & peeling of the black vinyl roof that was retro-fitted in late-1974 or early-1975, to my 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special", my father and I removed it in 1991, to find rusty areas where the fitters had been over-enthusiastic with course sandpaper or emery cloth in keying the surface for the adhesive.

We completely removed the brittle, textile-reinforced, black vinyl cloth, removed the adhesive residue, sanded, roughly feathered and treated the rusty areas, coated the rust-affected areas with primer, and then working on opposite sides of the car, my father and I painted the entire roof, rear-quarter C-pillars, B-pillars & A-pillars and window surrounds, down to the bottom of the vertical sill (to which the bright-work trim was attached - removed and never replaced!), below the side windows, using various brush sizes ranging from small up to circa 4 inch, using two-coats of original hammer-finish, black Hammerite paint, bought by mail-order, direct from the manufacturers Finnigan's Speciality Paints Ltd., in Prudhoe, Northamptonshire.

https://www.hammerite.co.uk

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/dir ... ed-finish/

https://www.toolstation.com/hammerite-m ... lsrc=3p.ds

This contrasted nicely with the original Mimosa yellow paint and gave the car a very distinctive appearance. The hammer-finish, Hammerite paint, hides any underlying blemishes and the surface finish still looks good after more than 30 years, but might benefit from a little freshening up. :D

Hammerite has been taken over several times since then, by companies which include Hunting Engineering, ICI and AkzoNobel.

https://www.akzonobel.com

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

Last edited by naskeet on Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:08 pm 

Quote:
And use 2k paint for quality. It's not that porous as the 1k paints so it will last and you don't wash it off... I believe you call it 2pack paint? Not sure it's 2.0 or 2,0 then.

Jeroen
its called either 2pack or 2k
And invest in an airfed respirator and do not spry it near anyone else, in a ventilated booth is best. even very low level exposure can cause isocyanate asthma

or use cellouse and a good quality spray mask much less risk to your health

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:29 pm 

I used a Glasurit 2 pack paint when painting my last car. An excellent paint choice. The agents were able to give a perfect colour match.

The standard practice in this country is to spray within a well ventilated dust free booth and to use either an airfed respirator or one of the very excellent 3M face masks.

I found the 3M mask a much better choice. It filtered out all the fumes very satisfactorily and was not as cumbersome as having a second air hose trailing behind me. Most of those with whom I shared the facility chose the 3M option.

Robert

Attachments:
20211009_222611Ptf HU 5089 spraying the bonnet.jpg
20211009_222611Ptf HU 5089 spraying the bonnet.jpg [ 304.58 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]