The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mobile mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Do you know of a mobile mechanic who can help me start my Sprint? The engine turns over but doesn't fire up.
I'm in Denton, Manchester. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Post subject: Re: Mobile mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When did the engine last run?

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:49 am 

Thank you for the response. The last time the engine ran was 3 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well there are some basic checks which you ought to carry out first before going to the expense of paying a mechanic to come out to you - that's if you can find one these days who doesn't turn up with a laptop and ask where it can be plugged in!
Does the engine turn over? If not, is the battery fully charged? Loose electrical connection? Starter motor faulty? Fuel - getting to the float chambers? Plugs clean, sparking? There are a few other things to look at too, but there's a starting point (no pun intended) for you which might save you some money.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:11 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I've had a look at the car myself and I can't work out why the engine isn't starting. I've now found a mobile mechanic and arranged for him to inspect the car the week after next. I'll post an update.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 pm 

A mobile mechanic inspected my '73 Sprint on Monday but unfortunately he was not able to start the car. I was not charged for the call-out.
The engine turns over strongly but there is no spark. The green oil light is the only light on the circular instrument cluster that comes on when I try to start it. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:24 pm 
TDC Member

The fact the oil pressure light is on shows that there is some power getting to the white wire side of the fuse box.
Just to do some more basic diagnostics which of the following items do / do not work please ?

IGN light
Choke warning light
Handbrake light

Then: Does the fuel gauge read with the Ignition on?
Do the brake lights work ?
Do the wipers work?
Do the washers work ?
Do the reversing lights work?
Do the seat belts warning lights work ?
Do the indicators / Hazard flashers work ?

Also : do the horns work ?
Do the headlights and sidelights work ?

Do you have a DVM or a test-light please ?

Ta,
Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:57 pm 

Hello Tony,

Thanks for replying to my post.
I'm working away at the moment so I cannot access the car to answer all your questions.
However, when I tried to start the car on Monday the ignition light didn't come on (it normally does). The fuel warning light didn't come on either (it normally does).
The seatbelt lights and the handbrake lights have never worked during my ownership of the car.
I didn't check any of the exterior lights, the horn or the fuel gauge but there is definitely fuel in the car because I put a gallon of unleaded in the tank before the mechanic arrived.
I know the wipers work because they came on when I accidentally hit the stalk!
Unfortunately, I don't have a DVM or test light.
As always, any help will be gratefully received.
Thanks.