The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:00 pm 
i think most of these theories are on the right track, all generally true one way or another.

slant 4's problems - im with jonners again - the fwd will most certainly be tracking/wheel alignment because its unliklely that thing will be lowered/camber set incorrectly. worn bushes will most likely be having a small influence on the problem. springs? turrets? me thinks not, but springs may be tired and very much doubt they'd be the originals at this age, and if they were broken you'd get a 'twang' effect, or bigger knocking etc as you go over bumps, pot-holes and round corners or bends. how likely is it that both front springs are broken in the same place so the car handles evenly on both sides?

the sprint is probably camber because its lowered, either because the springs are tired or they're 1" lower, or both, coupled with tracking and worn bushes.

I'm amazed anyone ever has uneven tyre wear issues with all this suspension knowledge!!

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:16 pm 
Suspension bush wear contributes a fair amount IMO. When I replaced the tired old rubber bushes in my wishbones for nylon/stainless the front wheels moved position by between 1/2" & 1".

:boggle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:01 pm 
don't forget a fwd has all major components hanging in front so i'd say has a tendency to have springs that are more setled than a sprint but there are arguments for all theorys put forward

Post subject: Ride height
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:51 am 
Just to confirm, there is NO published ride height for our cars (well I can't find one and I've hunted high and low!). THe published figure is Ground Clearance with 4 passengers! the only detail is spring free length. Still Looking into spring cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:21 am 
there is a figure for total car height which is 54ins / 1372 unladen
that would be with a standard kerb weight of 2295lb / 1041kg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:26 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Perhaps we could just measure and list. It'd tell us something. We need a clearly defined place to measure and need to list tyres too.

Tinweevil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:28 pm 
the height of my subframe from the ground is currently 0mm.

its sat on the ground, with no car or engine attached to it.

:funny:

you'll need to measure with the car on flat, level ground, spirit level required. suggest measurements in mm on complete car including oil, coolant etc, with no occupants sat inside. measure from bolt centre where bottom arm bolts into the suspension mount to the ground?

or how about from the front jacking point to the ground?

what about once parked in position, leaning on or applying some weight, eg sit on wing, then removing the load (get off the wing) and allowing the car to recover to its 'nominal' height?

all a bit scientific but if people are going to compare everyone has to work to a standard for the measurements to mean anything...

Post subject: Alternative
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 pm 

Centre of a bolt head might be a bit error prone. Would be better to go to the top so you can hook a tapemeasure over it. Or how about clearance under the drain holes in the bottom of the front subframe crossmember, IIRC there are slots punched out with a good downward lip.

Tinweevil

Post subject: Ride height
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:30 am 
Standard policy on the bl /bmc range was floor to rim of arch (if I recall. Maybe centre ofm hub, which makes more sense). A few mm here and there is nothing, I think we will be looking at more. Dertainly bump and settle is a good pratice. Will dig out a BMC manual for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:01 am 
you are reffereing to units with hydrolastic suspension or hydrogas
these are indeed done from the centre of the hub to wheel arch with park brake off somewhere between 13 &15 ins iirc

Post subject: For the record
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:51 pm 
My sprint has not been lowered nor do I have any broken springs - they just sag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:13 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
you are reffereing to units with hydrolastic suspension or hydrogas
these are indeed done from the centre of the hub to wheel arch with park brake off somewhere between 13 &15 ins iirc
And I guess it was important for these as that was the only way to measure a correct suspension charge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:34 pm 
yes it was the only way to set it if it was incorrect caused all sorts of drive shaft noises etc... just checked the trim height was 14.4 +/-0.4
centre hub to bottom of wheel arch enough tollerence for slight abnormalities
think the pressure was fairly high in the system too and the pump was refered to as the 'dalek'

Post subject: the pump
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:10 am 
If I recall there were 2 types, the one you are thinking of had 2 levers! Glad Triumph never thought of fitting that system!