The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:20 pm 
out where you are your gonna have alot more luck getting your hands on and working with a nissan CA18 DET or SR20DET.

out of the RPS13 and RPS 14 and 14a. nissan 200sx engine .. known as the silvia out there.

stong and endlessly tuneable engine ( just watch out for the big ends in the ca18det. )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:11 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I saw a T16 today. Mates putting one in his 1.4 rover 25
Theres a few been done.
Search the Metro forum's for info.

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:28 pm 
OK found my way on to this site yes you was right the engine was to high and it was just plonked in there just to see if it will fit now it is in properly its not a easy fit.

im only doing it this way to keep it in the family tree triumph to rover there has been many alterations to get the engine in and then it still needed a "power boulge" :roll: to shut the make do bonnet im posting some more up to date piccies on the other site

Post subject: Sorry George
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:48 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

but Ive never seen or heard of a factory sold one...
Given that about 80 TR7 Sprints were made and one a month at least on ebay you would think somebody would put an O series MGB on at least once in the 5 years I've tracked ebay.....

Itals and Moronas yes....B's I dont think so but could be wrong...

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:56 am 
TDC Member

I'm pretty sure they weren't done as production cars, even though it would seem to make sense. I did find pictures of someone who put a sprint engine in an MGB though...

Post subject: Saab
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:12 am 
Has anyone put a SAAB B202 in a dolly? Should be a relatively easy job (esp one form a T16!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:13 am 
i'm sure if you post on another forum you will find out but i did see the 'o' series in an mgb as to wether it was a 1.7 or 2.0 i cant think
but in what sort or quantity i really don't know if you guys have never seen one on the bay etc i guess that would mean that they are quite rare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:49 pm 
The Nissan route would make the most sense in the US, but I do like the idea of keeping it British!

T16toledo, what gearbox are you using?

Cheers
Mark

Post subject: T16 'box
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:30 pm 
According to a recent PPC magazine one of the staff is fitting a T16 in an MG. He also rekons, would you believe it, that the crank flange on the T16 is the same as MG B series and also accepts the plate behind flywheel. All you need is B series flywheel, back plate, clutch and gearbox and apparently it all just bolts together. Not sure if this is any help in a dolly tho' ! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:34 pm 
he is right the blocks have not been changed at all im using lt77 gearbox out of a sherpa 200 and its clutch went with no problems at all but getting it all to sit in the engine bay took a lot of mmmmmmm and cups of tea i have had to lower the sub frame 40mm i will get some piccies of them soon and as the dizzy cap and throttle body are now at the rear of the engine bay i have had to cut the first part of the bulkhead and then build it back up again as i said a lot of hassel just to put a t16 turbo in i bet a cossie lump is easyer but its not in the family tree :lol:

Post subject: Hmmmm
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:13 pm 

That must mean you could do an L series direct injection turbo diesel dolomite just as easilly then?
Dives for cover...
Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:14 pm 
There's a TR7 with one of those about. So yes, probably.... :shock:

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:24 am 

Top bloke that Mr T16toledo. Dab hand at bypassing a blown heater matrix on Golf GTIs.

:-)

Tinweevil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 pm 
YEP did it get you home ok tin

Post subject: Heap o' junk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:33 am 

Yep, yours was it's last breakdown on me. It went on ebay within a couple of weeks and fetched about 4 times what I was expecting :shock:

The current owner bought it to do the Plymouth Banjul and started preparing it immediately (May). I checked their web site a week ago and they still hadn't managed to get the heater matrix changed. AdamF on this forum is doing the P-B too, I've asked him to wave for me each time he passes it at the side of the road. :lol:

Are you still after a decent bonnet? I think I've a good spare still.

[Edit] Just checked again, now fixed. 6 months to change a heater matrix - what a car!

Tinweevil