The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: MOT work
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:45 pm 
Didn't touch the engine today, just done some patching.

That one was a bit awkward. It was from where the yellow inner wing and brown inner wing didnt quite match up. There was a slot about 10 cms long vertically and it was about 2-5mm wide. I got a slither of metal in there and then just filled it up with weld :)

A hole I found that the MOT man didnt :roll: Ok I have made it a bit bigger in the pic :P Patched up now

And the part I'm not looking forward to. An awkward hole next to the tie bar mount...

MOT will be on Thursday evening I think. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:55 pm 
TDC Member

Tidy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:11 pm 
Good stuff :)

Keep at it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:26 pm 
Adam,

Please tell us you haven't been loitering under that car with a trolley jack at one end and two axle stands at the other. People die doing things like that and much as we like to take the p155, I don't want to have your parents logging on to tell us you won't be on here any more. Do one end at a time with stands and the wheels on the ground at the other end.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:27 pm 
Christ, well spotted! Prime setting for rolling backwards off those axle stands, too! :shock:

Use all 4 next time :), jacks aren't good enough to hold the car up on their own and should only be used as extra support, not main :)

Even if I only need the rear end up I always have two axle stands then leave the jack just below the rear axle casing, just in case! Don't really want my car on me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Adam, do you wanna work your magic on Baby Blue? I can supply plenty of tools and you will be fed and watered if you can make it up to Anita's place (where I keep most of my fleet!) in Halifax.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:06 pm 
vw's live for ever even on a dolly but get it safer than that to work under :shock: heard of many dead bodys under cars that have fallen onto them
lewis you are right jacks should not be used as any support yes stick it under as a failsafe mesure but allways use stands !!!! i do honest :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:13 pm 
TDC Member

Even better than that is ramps, although difficult with the wheels off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:38 pm 

Get some great big wooden blocks, train track sleepers maybe, they will be cheaper than stands for a poor student just don't get caught when you get them.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:43 pm 
TDC Member

And to be honest there's no need to have the back and the front off the ground at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:05 pm 
A few months ago i was working on MWK, all i wanted to do was check the ball joints for grease...took the car up on the jack, took the wheel off and thought "it would be better on an axle stand" went to get one and as i got up i noticed oil from the jack...within 5 seconds the car was on the floor with the jack under it...the seal for the hydraulics had gone........
Couldnt not believe how lucky i was as 10seconds earlyer i was under the wheel arch having a look around!!

I was in the entry behind my house and if my luck ad of ran out then i would of been there a while as i would of had a 1300 on my head!!

Personally if i was working on a slope then i would of left the rears on, ckocked the wheels and as its RWD put in 1st gear!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:38 pm 
Yer I took a shortcut and just left it on a jack to do the front :oops:

The cars still on the jack now. I've only got 2 stands, I'll put some blocks under it next time.

If I did die I don't think my parents would think to come on here and tell you lot. I'm not sure Rich would either :lol:

If I do die I'll tell you guys first. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:06 am 
Quote:
Yer I took a shortcut and just left it on a jack to do the front :oops:

The cars still on the jack now. I've only got 2 stands, I'll put some blocks under it next time.

If I did die I don't think my parents would think to come on here and tell you lot. I'm not sure Rich would either :lol:

If I do die I'll tell you guys first. :D
I found I needed a couple of close shaves (almost losing my hand whilst attaching a load to a crane was one, then walking into a minefield by accident was another) before I grew out of this attitude. You start off with no experience and a big bag of luck. Just make sure you have a big bag of experience before your luck runs out.

I aint often serious Adam, but on this one, I am. Take care mate.

Post subject: Flat stanley !!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:11 pm 
Earlier this year my mate layed trapped under a Morris Minor for 6 hours in the yard when the jack slipped in the mud. His phone kept ringing but he couldn't reach it and his girlfriend only came to find him when it got dark !!!! :fingerwag: Very serious stuff but why do i find i'm nearly wetting myself everytime i think about it :lol:

No , make sure you take adequate precautions....................................... we dont want any little adams now do we :boggle2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:11 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
...and his girlfriend only came to find him when it got dark...
...and I bet she still gave him grief for being late!