The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: dash dilema......
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:13 pm 
I am currently in the process of replacing my dashboard in the toledo. I have put in a dash from a sprint. Apart from melting a few wires (long story but basically I was an $rse) everything went fine or so i thought. I didnt even think about the heater controls until I went to put the knobs back on no heater controls!!! The curved dash protrudes into the passenger area more than the flat one. My question is this, is the heater unit a different size between curved/flat dash cars. I have noticed that the complete control unit for the heater is fixed by a series of phillips screws so hopefully would only need to replace this unit with one with longer arms assuming there is such a thing.

Thanks for any thoughts on this

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:13 pm 
also interested as i'll be doing this too at some point in the future. my tolly is still complete at this stage...

have to say I think the heater is different, sprint vents set up different i think, but its been that long since ive seen mine ive forgotten!

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:28 am 
I did have a look at my spare heater box alan and the idea i had extending the arms would be difficult due to the small size, but if you are feling brave/stupid you can have it to try.
a lot af patience and a few very small holes should do the trick.
p.s. you should change your user name to iwishitwent. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:17 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

The heater box for the curved dash is different. I've just checked my parts catalogue. I could rob the one off my spares 1500 as it should be the same. I'd have to cross check part numbers against my 1500fwd parts catalogue to be certain.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - a project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint), NYE 751L (1972 Dolomite 1850 auto) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post subject: Pointless....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:54 am 

chaning a flat plank dash and NOT changing the heater. The cheap spec heater doesnt have the bacon sizzler centre vent...
Know you'll have to do it twice...dash out to swap heater.

Jonners

Post subject: heater
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:59 pm 
Toledo Man I would be interested in the heater box from your 1500fwd if it does tie in with the parts catalogue (there may be more than 2 types of heaters !!!!).

Justyn it does go....... sort of (just doesnt stop at the moment).

Jonners things are always easier the second time. The first time involved acertian amount of pain and grief then I realised the brackets that attach the dash to the a posts are adjustable on the back of the dash then the pain and grief dissappeared!!!!

Just one more question regarding wiring the rev counter in. I understand from Justyn that I can wire it to the coil just need to know does the + from the coil go to either the round post or the spade connector on the back of the rev counter. Do I still need to keep the earth plugged in or will it earth from the coil. Sorry for what seem to some daft questions but as can be seen from earlier posts vehicle electrics is a black art to me.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:47 pm 

Good news:

The 1500fwd heater is the same part (part No. 913530) as used in the curved dash Dollies (i.e. 1500HL, 1850HL & Sprint) so the one out of my spares 1500 will fit. It just needs taking out!

Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint), NYE 751L (1972 Dolomite 1850 auto) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:52 am 
only a guess but i think that the spade terminal will be the live.
if its the wrong way around it just wont work (or maybe just catch alight)
wire it in to start with an inline fuse and if you are lucky the fuse will blow if wrong, if fuse doesn't blow and it works keep the fuse in place.
or wait till someone who knows whet they are talking about to give the right answer 8)

Post subject: curved dash heater
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:02 pm 
Toledo Man definately interested in the heater. What do you want for it? Can it be sent as it is a bit of a trek to yorkshire.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:00 pm 

lotys of heaters here in Birmingham if thats closer to home for you...

Jod

Post subject: Speaking of heaters...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 pm 
...the heater in my 1977 Sprint, OMK 172R, is not working properly, due, I think, to sloppy reassmbly.

Two things are wrong: The fan works on only 1 speed, slow sleed and that's only when the center lever is pushed fully down. And the left lever, the one that directs air to the screen and car, is not hooked up, apparently.

Question: Do I have to remove the entire dash to service the heater?

Richard Truett

Post subject: Heater....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 pm 

Part is inside the car and part is under the bonnet.
You have the blower fan under the bonnet and the heating bit with radiator inside. The blower and volume control lever controls a flap valve between the blower and heater and this often seizes shut, causing no air flow despite the fan being on. Also the fan has a big resistor in series with the motor to give 2 speeds....fast has it shorted out and slow includes the resistor in series with the motor...sophisticated eh?

Have a look at the tube between blower and that rubber elbow joint and you will see a cable and some detent position on a quadrant thingy that moves the flap valve. Give it some tlc and penetrating oil and it will be unsiezed and soon work again.
The distribution leaver controls another flap valve in the heater box under the dash. Check the cable is attached and that the falp valve isnt broken or seized...though Ive never known that happen.
Then you should get air going to the screen or inside...as you want.

The other one controls the water valve and is again self explanatory, visible under the dash at the side of the heater box. Dash out to fix but again unlikey to be needed.

On the whole these heaters are reliable. The water valve never seems to give trouble as its nice and safe under the dash. They sometimes get a bit blocked up but a flush out should solve that.

Jonners

Post subject: Heater
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:29 pm 
Jod

Have sent you a PM.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:23 am 

I've now liberated the heater and yes the dash does have to come off. Just 3 screws at the top and 2 7/16" bolts at either side and off it comes...

Post subject: Heater
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:21 pm 
Toledo Man have sent you a pm.