The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stripping down doors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:39 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Through a typical dave-esque lack of planning I've managed to forget to strip down my doors for repainting. I've arranged for a shot-blasting place to do them on Wednesday, but I need to completely dismantle them before that and I only have tonight and tomorrow night to do it. :shock:

I've seen the door glass removed at the restoration show, so I'm reasonably happy about doing that, except I missed the rear quarterlights. Do these come out the same way as the front ones?

Also how to the door linkages come out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:00 pm 
Was it one of the Europeans who had pictures on the triumph owners site to get the rear quarters out? Used clamps and blocks of wood to pull them out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:05 pm 
Funny enough I'm stripping doors prior to paint at the moment too, I'm not having them put back to metal though - I been advised to rub them back as far as the original factory primer (and bare metal where any "spider legs" exist). then using a high build zinc primer and rubbing back again.

The doors come apart pretty easy, all the rod linkages just unclip, I've left the one in place that unlocks the remote knob (on the top of the door) to the latch as this sits in side a small plastic cup which breaks if tou try to pull it back through the hole in the door.

The rear quarter glass SHOULD come out the same as the front (drill out the pop rivet at the top and bolt in the bottom of the chrome strip), but the glass will not budge so I'm planning to mask this up before paint.

I think you could pull the rear quarter glass out if you managed to borrow some of those glass suckers that you pump to get the suction on - the type used for carring glass panels, with enough suction you should be able to get enough grip to pull it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:54 pm 
TDC Member

I've just done this again on SFB.

On the rears, once you've drilled the rivets out & removed the glass & chrome strip, you can then remove the rear quarter light. They're usually a pig to get out but I found an easy way to remove them. First get some WD40 or whatever in behind the rubber seals. Then get two blocks of wood & a 'G' cramp. Clamp the bits of wood on to the glass fairly tight & then, with the edge of the door in your chest, one hand either side of the clamp, start pushing. DON'T move it side to side (for obvious reasons). I found putting the clamp nearer the top to ease the top out first works well.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:08 pm 
Quote:
with the edge of the door in your chest, one hand either side of the clamp, start pushing.
Hmm Interesting, I'd love to be able to remove them from my doors but don't you mean PULLING Mart assuming you have the hinge side of the door in your chest?

ALAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

They are the last bit to get out.

Door, hinges down on the ground, get some of those sticky gloves, put your palms on each side and push downwards. You can do it without the gloves, but you go a bit redder!

Post subject: good luck
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:10 pm 
They are an absolute pig! use anything carefully. Ive had some sucess with gently prising the edge (between gasket and door frame access from where the rear runner channel was). Also helpful to break the seal around the window before pulling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:28 pm 
done quite a few in my time never had any problems removing them
when i get a spare bit of time i'll pull one from the doors i have just to refresh my memory (but i do have a good grip with my hands)as my son finds out after he's attacked me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:05 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
with the edge of the door in your chest, one hand either side of the clamp, start pushing.
Hmm Interesting, I'd love to be able to remove them from my doors but don't you mean PULLING Mart assuming you have the hinge side of the door in your chest?

ALAN
No I meant the door still on it's hinges with the latch side towards you.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:58 pm 
TDC Events Officer

I'm having a brain fade. How do the cappings come off? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:11 pm 
TDC Member

Take off door card, remove self tappers (3 on front, 2 on rear), carefully pull up. The rears can be a tad difficult on the rear flange. Don't try to get it off by lifting the front or you'll split the rear of the capping (voice of experience).

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:58 am 
TDC Events Officer

2 down, 2 to go. It took me 2hrs 45 to do the first door, and 45 minutes to do the second. The quarterlight frame came apart in my hands on the passenger door, rusted through, which was a shame, but the two doors I've done so far look pretty solid. I have three stuck screws though, so I'll have a fun time at some point drilling them all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:08 pm 
TDC Events Officer

4 down, 2 to go (sort of)

The back doors came off quite nicely, and although the rear quarterlights were utter buggers, I think I found a nice way to do it.

Underneath the bottom of the quarterlight, the seal rests on a metal plate. But it doesn't run the full length of the seal; there's a 2 inch gap at the back end. lined up with that is a big hole in the inner skin of the door.

If you jam a screwdriver into the seal and push it downwards either side of the glass, you can put a screwdriver through the hole in the door skin and force it down much further. This starts pulling the seal out of the doorframe at the back, and the glass out of the seal. Just loosen up the rest of the seal with the screwdriver and the quarterlight comes out quite easily.

Just 3 screws to drill out tomorrow, and the boot lock too. I might just make it...