The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: It all depends...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:31 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Its nice to get a 700 rpm rev drop at motorway cruise but....

The gearbox mounting on all o/d cars is a PITA to use an americanism..

If you use your car mostly around town the extra weight and general bounciness of the overdrive and not quite so slick gearchange means I'd stay non o/d now having had both on the fleet. The o/d cars all regularly blow the downpipe flange too. Ive just put an Alun exhaust support bracket on blue and its now a lot better with a new mount as well. STill doenst feel as tight and smooth as white but its close...we'll see if its still all tight in a few months...

Then there is the gearstick loom and the dodgy gearstick switch and the iffy wiring...all not so nice to get old with...

Bizarrely Ive only ever converted a 3 rail car and the prop was the same.
The zorst is different though..
On a single rail car like yours I'm not sure about the prop but you will need the o/d cross member and mounting, same as a sprint except the bit that joins mount to box...the exhaust is the same.

Its fun flicking in o/d third in that overtaking maneuvre though...

ZF 4 speed auto conversion anyone?

Jonners

Post subject: Huh?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:34 pm 
Thanks for that Jon

You have raised all sorts of issues that are completly baffleing to me.

For example what is a Zorst?

And being from Yank Land myself, I would have thought I would understand americanisms......

but i had to gues what PITA means (pain in the ass?)

Chris

Post subject: Sorry...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:47 pm 

I'm inconsistent in my use of terminolgy..
a zorst and exhaust are the same things....

Did you ever sort out another car for your wife?
My BGT is still for sale...

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:13 pm 
Hello All

I have had my Dolomite in the garage this week to have a look at the gearbox this week. The problem was even more simple to resolve than I hoped.

The mechanism that allows you to pull the gear lever up (so you can select reverse) was stuck in the up position. Apparently it was just a bit dry and crusty in there. They took the assymbly apart and gave it a good clean and a bit of grease. Even I could have managed to sort that out if I hadn't presumed that the problem was much worse.

Anyway..... the cost of repairs was cheap (£30) and all seems well now. No problems with grinding into 3rd or reverse now. Everything works fine.

So all of my concerns about needing to conduct more extensive repairs were a bit premature.

Thanks to all of you for your offers of help and advice. And particular thanks to Slant4 and Toledoman for you offers to come and lend a hand. It is very much appreciated.

Chris