The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:13 am 
TDC Member

Are there any plans to get a up to date registration list.

Last one was 1997?.

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a subject that we don't really want to get tied up with at the moment, but it's something we may return to at some point in the future. At the moment we do have a list of all cars which new members have told us about since 2001. We also have the original list from 1997. We have no plans to make either list available at the moment, but it's not outside the realms of possibility that we may do so at some point in the future. Our priority at the moment is to get our new database up to date with members' details. When we've done that, we might think about adding the details of their cars (which are held seperately at present). Once all that work is completed, we might think about publishing registration lists providing that doing so doesn't contravene data protection rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:37 pm 
I'd say publishing any sort of registration list would almost certainly breach data protection rules. We've recently had a lot of problems regarding privacy with the university motor club (which I won't go into on a public forum), and I for one would not want my vehicle's details published on a list, and I know quite a few people who would agree (hence why I have blanked out the registration details in the photos in my sig, and see my scrapyard thread)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:53 pm 
But what would be excellent would be some annual statistics about the overall registrations of the different models. For example I have no clue what is left from all this nice Sprints in certain counties and countries.

As I am a newbe to the club I do not know if this next related topic might be available already or has been discussed for ages but what about an address list of the members as a kind of break down list including the phone numbers. I have such a list of the Spitfire and both TR clubs I am member from lying in the glovebox of allmy Triumph's. This gives you immediatly a kind of save feeling and in an case of a breakdown (happened twice to me in the last years with my TR, once in Denmark and once in Italy) you call the nearest club colleague to sort out the possibilities. It can be that he is just able to point you to garages who are familar with the cars up to he is your man and have all spares available and is picking you up in half an hour. I know that the TR Register developed such a list for the TR's. Any plans like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:03 pm 
There is an informal 'friendly neighbour' scheme in operation but it involves knowing the numbers of a few people in the club around the country. There was talk of resurrecting the scheme officialy. I think its a great idea.

As for the publication details of surviving cars, I reckon you could opt in or out of it in much the same way as you do with the published voters register database. Personally, I would opt in as I can't see why anyone would go to the lengths of cloning a dolly. They would also have to get hold of a DM first as well. I think that name, colour, registration and derivative would be fine.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:04 pm 
why would you have to list the full reg number? why not just
dolomite 1850, poo brown, W plate , hampshire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:25 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

We could codify the reg nos and only publish the key to members :dingdong:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:36 am 
Just a question for for clarification as I (as someone from the continent) can not follow: why do you want to have the registration included at all? Isn't it more valuable to post the VIN so that everybody can cross check what other cars from the same production months or year are around, if yours might be the earliest/latest known and what other cars do exit in the club (e.g. how many LHD, RHD, OD and/or limited slip differential factory equipped, etc.). Additional usefull informations could be modifications (e.g. Weber carbs, brake conversations, Konis, or whatever).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 am 
TDC Member

I'm not sure if it would breach the date protection rules if there's no personal information attached (ie. just the plate numbers which cannot be traced back to a name outside of the police or DVLA) but it would certainly be sensible to take advice before doing anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:45 am 
Its just handy when you need to track down previous owners if you have the reg as has been done with the old list. Vin number would suffice I suppose but I reckon most people recall their old plate number rather than Vin. Vin would obviously be handy for those registered overseas though.

Alot of people get their knickers in a twist over Data Protection. As long as the details are relevant and accurate and people consent to them being published then that's fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:05 am 
Quote:
Its just handy when you need to track down previous owners if you have the reg as has been done with the old list.....
That's interesting. Where can I search in England for previous owners as my TR was registered there under UFF701 in the past?

Post subject: freindly member
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:43 am 
Its an excelent sceme that many owners clubs run.

I agree reg lists a data protection nightmare adn an awful lot of resource. I'm sure the varous model reps will know detail. Im know Mark Ashbridge keeps on top of the 1300 FWD (note to self to remember to update him!)

Post subject: For HolgerS...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:43 pm 
TDC Member

If you have the registration document for the car the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will provide you with the names and addresses they have that the car was previously registered to for a small fee (around £20 I think). I'm not sure how far back their records go though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:22 pm 
you have to be the registered owner(unless you work for the police :wink: ) to get the details and not all previuos owner details are held , compter crashes , mis adminitration ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

You need to write to the DVLA and ask for a 'full keeper history' quoting the UK registration number. I guess you also need to enclose proof of ownership since you aren't on their computer. Cost is £5.

Vehicle Customer Services (VCS)
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1AR

Might be worth giving them a call first to check what proof they would accept and that the fee is the same for you. I think the number I called is 0870 240 0010. DVLA website.

Tinweevil