The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 pm 
I've just compared the sports exhaust systems on my two Dolly Sprints.

Ever since I got NGE 6V a month ago, I've wondered why that car was slightly louder and more sporty sounding than my 1977 Sprint, OMK 172R.

Now I think I know why: OMK appears to have the same longish front muffler as my TR7 Sprint. NGE has a shorter, wider muffler. Both systems appear the same from the front muffler back.

Can anyone give me a clue as to which muffler is the correct one, or are they both correct?

Cheers,
Richard Truett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:31 pm 
TDC Member

It sounds like neither of your cars has the "proper" exhaust system.

See my crappy diagram below:

It would look a little like that under the car, although I might have got the order of the two boxes mixed up.

Chances are a more conventional system (one mid section exahust, one muffler under the boot) has been fitted, which is a fairly normal "sports" system. There are lots of different ones about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 pm 
Both cars have the sports system fitted with the low-hanging rear muffler under the petrol tank.

I am just wondering of the front muffler on OMK is the wrong muffler?

Post subject: Its all subjective
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:19 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

It's an impossible question! The system Dave has drawn is the only system that can be classed as right or wrong as it's the factory system. The two 'sports' systems you have are both 'wrong' in their own ways, what silencers they use is entirely down to those aftermarket manufacturers. If an aftermarket system fits and works it's hard to call it wrong. We could compare dimensions to systems we have here but you can't hear our cars nor we yours so it would be of limited use.

I'm not aware of any harm that can be done to your engine by it having to open a system and it would have to be extremely restrictive to the point of the car barely running to do and real harm so I wouldn't worry.

If the noise bothers you or is not what you want a good custom exhaust builder should be able to build a system to your audible specification.

Sorry, I don't mean to be unhelpful.

Tinweevil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:50 pm 
But generally the smaller the silencers and least amount you have the better. From a young persons point of view atleast :P