The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
 Post subject: Re: Wildlife
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
TDC Member

The Robins are back ! They have been visiting for the past 10 years and usually manage to breed. Last year they hid and nested in a thick bank of ivy by next doors fence. Unusually last year we had a lot of magpies and crows around as well as the local red-kite from the Chilterns.We never saw exactly where the robins nested but there was a lot of flying in and out. Now, at the weekend it was time to tidy up a bit and we found the old nest, and it was very well hidden. So we left that bit and a large section around it in case they re-used the nest. Reading the web-site it doesn't actually say whether they re-use the previous years nests or not, but today Daddy(?) robin was back prospecting the area for nest building (?).
Oh yes , this is urban Berkshire.
Watch this space !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

There's not much wildlife where I'm currently living. The previous place (the one with the garage) was where I'd posted the footage of the squirrels and is a former farmhouse situated next to a disused railway and there was quite a bit of wildlife. I remember hearing a woodpecker and at night we could hear a strange sounding bird in the woods nearby but we could never identifiy it. The place before that was the converted mill where I'd posted the photos of the heron and the Mallards (a breeding pair as what I meant when I posted the photos).

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:07 pm 

Quote:
.......and at night we could hear a strange sounding bird in the woods nearby but we could never identifiy it.....
Probably one of these beauties in your neck of the woods Dave...

Attachments:
Dave's Mystery Bird.JPG
Dave's Mystery Bird.JPG [ 33.64 KiB | Viewed 3968 times ]

Post subject: Tony.......
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
The Robins are back !
Do they ever go away?

The UK breeding populations are either resident or partial migrants. Scandinavian breeders over winter in the UK making the robin
much more numerous in said winter months. They are also easier to spot because their plumage is brighter at this time too.
The robin is the only UK breeder that regularly fights to the death over territory. They are also the only UK bird to sing in winter
although some other species such as blackbirds will sometimes do so under street lights.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 pm 

One of my other interests is angling and on the rare occasions that I fish in winter using maggots, you find robins will actually land on your chair and nick the maggots while stealing you a look as if to say, "you dont mind, do you"?

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:55 am 

Jod, you could be right! I did see a robin at the same place. There's not much at the current place aside from the local bird population which is mostly crows, magpies and wood pigeons (I see the wood pigeons when I'm walking the dog).

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 am 
There's not much at the current place aside from the local bird population which is mostly crows, magpies ..... which are classed as vermin .....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm 

Magpies and crows do well on road kill.
Pigeons or collared doves (I cant tell the difference) are absolutely taking off numbers wise.
They seem to like the berries on our Ivy hedge. Often wonder what they taste like....

We also have a lot of herons. Funny how they always take off the second I'm ready to snap them. They must have a camera detector.

Had a really strange encounter with a swan last night. It had decided to just sit in the cycle lane as I drove past. Seemed ok.....plenty of would be helpers so
I didn't bother to stop. Funny place to just have a sit down....

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:02 pm 
TDC Member

Speaking of Herons...

I snapped this from my bedroom window yesterday. Can't remember seeing one around here before.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:08 pm 

Nice one Mart...

In my experience Herons have some form of detector that makes them fly off just as you aim the camera...

Seems to be true of a lot of other wildlife as well...

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:20 pm 
Nature is hugely underated and I'm always stopping in my tracks to view what's going on with our smaller companions of this planet...!!!

I was in Hyde Park this weekend and my mind was blown at seeing some of the sights I saw (I am easily amused!)...

People need to be more aware of what's around them as the next time they stop and take a look it might not be there!

Post subject: Okay.......
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:15 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Pigeons or collared doves (I cant tell the difference) are absolutely taking off numbers wise.
Collared doves, a non native species that is now very common, are easy to identify,
they have a consistent pinkie grey colour, a thin black "collar" around the neck and a pronounced fan like tail with very pale feathers.

Wood pigeons are much bigger with bluey grey colour and have an obvious white bar on each wing. Again their colouration is consistent.

Feral pigeons/rock pigeons are very variable in colour and about the same size as collared doves. They will readily enter buildings unlike
collared doves or wood pigeons.

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am 

Thanks Ian...

Round here there are numerous examples of all three...

Which ones eat best I wonder....:-)

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:28 pm 

Wood pigeon is the only one to eat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:19 pm 

Very strange event when we stayed at daughter Rebecca's house near Reading over Christmas.
It was late at night and her two cats that were outside set off an enormous racket of screaming and snarling and when the door was opened they rushed in terrified with their tails all puffed out (fear sign in cats).
We were just quick enough to spot a very large bird flying away in the dark.
My guess was a large Tawny owl got confused and thought the cats were smaller than they were so grabbed but let go.
Or it was an escaped Eagle owl which could tackle a cat.
What do you guyrs reckon?

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next