The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:43 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Mrs David6214 can't be persuaded to drive a dolomite full time and instead prefers a mini cooper (the old shape / proper one). She graduated from a 1991 RSP cooper (beautifully restored by a combination of me (a little) and lillywhiyes garage (a lot) to the current ride, a 1999 mini 1.3i.

Its a tidy motor but in the last few days has developed a problem.

The car starts, drives 5 miles, stereo makes funny noises so gets turned off. Car is then parked, turned off, restarted and driven 5 miles home. Next time SWiMBO tries to start the car it isn't interested. In car Volt meter shows 9V.

I charge the battery, blame short journeys and off she pops. stereo starts making funny noises, car is parked and won't start. Volt meter shows 9V.

David6214 recovery is called and I duly raid the dolly for a battery and set off.

Phone rings, the mini now has 13v showing, starts and drives fine. Get home, car is parked, won't start, flat battery.

New battery fitted today (I don't mean new, just new to her) stereo lights up but has not sound. (I don't need advice on the stereo, I'm just adding it in incase its relevant)

My assumption - dying battery, it only started because it recharged itself a little whilst switched off, but I wondered if there is any other explanation.....

So whilst I am puzzling it, SWiMBO suggests I ask my 'imaginary friends'....thats you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 pm 
Knackered stereo? Does it get hot to the touch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:57 pm 

no doesn't seem to, all displays seem fine, cd seems to work just no noise.

Stereo may be knackered now, but I am most scared of the failure to start.

Mrs David6214 is not keen on unreliable cars (tricky for me as she insists on driving a mini!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 pm 

could a stereo cause the battery to drain? I'll pull the fuse from it and see if it solves the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm 
Give it a whirl, you never know! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:31 pm 
disconect the streeo from the battery the fault may be further along the line. is it earthing/liveing itself thus drawing lots of current. also check the battery to starter motor live is tight as well as the alternator earth. the noise may be interference caused by a wire shorting out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:32 pm 
Quote:
could a stereo cause the battery to drain? I'll pull the fuse from it and see if it solves the problem.
Thats your first port of call.

Let us know what happens. problems with aftermarket stereos are usually because they have been butchered in. Don't get me started with the VAG diagnostics I have on the VR6, that includes checking for the factory stereo and making sure it works ok.... :roll:

Post subject: Hmmmm
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:13 pm 

Last time I saw something like this was on the Golf. The radio was the first sign of trouble, it kept cutting out. Then it rained and I spotted that the the wipers were going way too quick. I always kept a meter in that car, a quick check revealed 18.8v at the battery. The regulator pack on the alternator was on the fritz and it was kicking out too many volts. I got the men in yellow out sharpish because much as I hated it I couldn't afford it going up in smoke. Dunno if it would have led to poor starting, would have been hard to tell really.

Tinweevil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:21 pm 
TDC Member

Grab yourself a old buld and holder.
Disconect the battery and connect the buld/holder in between the battery and the lead you taken off the battery.
Now if the light is glowing start disconnect everything on the car untill the light goes out.
Giss a shout if you want me to pop over to look.

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:09 am 

A job for the weekend, Thanks for the offer phil, I'll give you a call once I have checked it through. Reckon I have a couple of days grace before The missus gets a little wound up driving my landie (usually towing car for dolly needy cases....but called in for emergency service right now)

Post subject: I suspect...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:20 am 

as Tin says the alternator is at fault....

It could be puting out too high or too low a voltage, eithr of which will challenge the stereo.

It couod also be causing a permanenet battery drain.

Disconnect the alternator...insert full charged battery and see what happens...
If all is well you should see a slightly low voltage of 12-5 - 13 or so running and a small residual drain with everything off for clock if fitted and radio presets. If you still see a heavy discharge when its all off you have some other fault and the stereo is a good suspect.

Jonners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:03 pm 

Thanks a lot guys, the weekend looms and I get to see just how much room there is in a mini engine bay compared to a dolly. ........I'll update with news, thanks etc next week hopefully.