The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Vaux**ll Calibra
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:42 pm 
Prelude go clunk, clunk, clunk, squeak = buggered front shocks = £81.00ea plus fitting :shock: = no sodding way as the car aint worth it. Shame cos it drove beautifully. At least it were a freebie.

Now having to look for a replacement. What do we know/think about 2.0 Calibras?? Big list please, but nothing too scary :? J reg with 147K on the clock. £260 or £270. Looks quite tidy. If it's poo, anyone got a car for sale around the £300 mark??

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:30 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I could sell you a dolly for that. Easy to maintain, friendly club supporting the marque, choice of colours, comes with spares if you need them, even sell you an auto for ease of gearchange!!

Post subject: Cally
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:54 pm 
They are just Cavaliers in a shellsuit and without the back doors!

Typical Vauxhall - s/h parts are peanuts, engines are good (Especially the 16 valvers with the XE engines or the V6's), generally reliable but interiors are dull, understeering handling is suspect and they like to rot away!

A little bit chav these days unless you've got a turbo'd DTM ltd edition which is seriously rapid.

a J plater for that price sounds a bit suspect. Thought they'd be worth more for a good one. Be careful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:27 am 
TDC Member

Early Cally's where 2.0 8 Valve's.
Yes a Cavalier in drag.
V6 have huge fuel bill's
4X4 wear the tyres out in no time at all
Turbo's and the 4x4 also are hard on Clutch's/Gearbox's.
16V Cambelt's can get expensive if not changed regulary water pump's leak and on 8v.
8 Valve's a really strong engine and cheaper to rebuild than the other engine's if the belt should go south/west.
I'll go for the 16v only because Ive had 2 Cally's already and prefered the 16v over the 8.
I suspect the J plate is a 8V

Prices vary so much on these

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject: Vauxh**l Calibra
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:37 am 
Cheers Guys. I'm only half tempted as it is in a pound at the mo'. Taken from the owner under the Road Traffic Act and now on fleabay. They can't give me any history or info on any probs other than an experian check and that it was being driven when the driver got lifted :?

Looks tidy enough with minimal rusty bits. No previous viewing allowed and you pay your cash and get a car - no whingeing or quibbling adfterwards. Not exactly filling me with confidence, although I could be lucky. David I am tempted, talk to me a bit more about what you have on offer :wink: Need a dreaded MOT'd one though....... auto sounds interesting+++. Give me a buzz on oh seven seven fur noine too fur wun tree too ayt.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:49 am 
16v XE-powered ones are fun...

I really hankered after one of these a few years ago, but never quite got round to owning one.

Test drove a few though.

8v was disappointing.

Can't deny they're bargainous at the moment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:52 am 
Ken, what happened to your 'big' white 1850 ?? . Is that not a viable project ??? Or are you a secret pimper at heart :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:08 pm 

Kens 1850 currently residing at my place - still a viable project.....

There are a few other viable projects in a range of colours available at 'Davids Dolomites' once I decide what stays and what goes there may be a few more for sale.....good homes only!

Post subject: Calibra
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:52 pm 
Yep Big White Dolly now resides in Davids collection, hopefully awaiting the day when she will be ressurected into a shiny white thing of beauty.

Ok David, whatchya got thats immediately viable as a daily driver, is MOT'd/able, hopefully automatic and fits snugly into my financial limit :wink: :wink:

Just priced up a clutch for a very cheap mondeo 1.8 '97..... ready for this.....

Mr. Cl*tch: £279.83 :shock:
Nationwide Auto C: £495.90 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Formula Wun AC: £450.00 but needs two weeks notice and it's a very difficult job sir :shock: :shock:

Mondeo crossed off my list pronto!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:53 pm 
ken ,if the car is in the pound because it was taken under section 165 (no insurance) then they are not legally allowed to sell it as it HAS to be scrapped by law. (someone i know got slapped wrist for doing that :oops: )
you may have trouble getting a log book.
it may be a stolen recovered and the owner couldn't afford the recovery fees in which case its ok as long as the owner has signed the car over to the pound.(ask for proof) or the car will still belong to the previous owner.

cavvys have good engines if looked after .my vectra 2.0 (1999 model) is on 145000 miles without any big problems.

Post subject: Pound woes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:04 pm 
Hiya Justyn,

I didn't buy the Calibra as there just wasn't enough info given. Ok, so they may not know much about the cars themselves - fair enough. I'd have thought they might be a bit more willing to check the cars over a bit, but no. I asked them about section 165 and the cars they had up for auction. Here is their reply:

'We are not aware as to why a vehicle has been taken, that is solely the reposibility of the police. We are not informed by the police of why a vehicle has been seized that is confidential information not given to us.'

All sounds too woolly and a bit blinkered for me. All cars start at £273 to cover their 'fees' and to allegedly stop the original owner having any sort of claim on the car.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:10 pm 

On Mot'd cars - mmm they are all being used. My sprint and my 1500 daily driver.

On mot'd able I have an 1850 auto in blue, MOT lapsed in July. little bit scruffy in a couple of places, but could be driven to a station today

Big WHite Dolly - obviously not an auto, you know more about how far away from an MOT that one is than I do.

Red 1500 Red - Looks and drives fine. Its an auto. Last MOT 2000, needs a sill plate and I reckon it would get an MOT quite easily. I'm keeping this one.

I have a yellow 1850 auto as well, 11 numbers adrfit from the blue one - I may let them go as a pair...

Not that helpful I guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 pm 
thats a load of *******ks they have to know why they are taking a car as different confiscations are handled in different ways. and paper work has to be filled in bt the police at time of seizure.
can you email their address or ebay name please.
thanks

Post subject: Bo**ocks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:14 pm 
Hi Justyn

Info sent via PM.

David, I'm bidding on a Volvo at the moment (good old fleabay). If that falls through, maybe we could have a chat about the blue 1850? Whats tatty on her?

Cheers

Ken

Ok, quick car update. Am now the owner of a G reg Volvo 740GL auto - base model so less to go wrong (in theory). One owner, 86K, service history and MOT till April - £255. Fairly pleased and it's only 10 minutes from work re: collection. Flog it in April with a new ticket and I should get a decent price for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:59 pm 

good luck with it - seems a good vehicle for collecting dollies!!!