The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm 
Yep I see the point, was wondering about its legality though, especially if it caused an accident.

I am finding more people brake-testing than tail-gating, especially on my weekly run from Surrey to South Wales. Which is very annoying when I am generally keeping to speed limits and NOT tail gating. Also there are the "I can't bear being overtaken so I will speed up as you get level with me " bunch of idiots, who then slow down again if I acquiesce to their foolery.

Death ray button is the only answer!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:02 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

The Types & Uses of Ammeters

Ammeters used for measuring large currents that are more than a few hundred milliamps at most, require a supplementary low-resistance current-shunt, that conducts most of the supplied current in parallel with the low-current gauge-windings which operate the gauge. The gauge is then calibrated so that proportion of total current conducted by the gauge-windings, indicates on the scale, the total current supplied to the gauge, which is divided proportionately between the gauge-windings and the low-resistance current-shunt.

Fundamentally, there are essentially three ways as follows, in which an ammeter can be used to monitor a vehicle’s electrical system:

a) The total current supplied by the generator (i.e. dynamo or alternator via an external or internal voltage regulator) to the electrical system including the battery, but excluding the starter motor;

b) The total current supplied by both the battery and the generator (i.e. dynamo or alternator via an external or internal voltage regulator) to the electrical system, but excluding the starter motor;

c) The total rate of charging & discharging of the battery, apart from what is discharged to the starter motor when starting the engine.

The electrical circuit wiring diagram for the FWD Triumph 1300, illustrated on Pages 134 & 136, in the Wiring Diagrams section of the following DIY workshop manual, shows the non-calibrated, internal-shunt ammeter (Item 3 on the circuit diagram | one of the gauges in the three-gauge cluster | the scale is simply marked C for charging and D for discharging) as being incorporated in a way, which indicates in accordance with none of categories (a), (b) or (c).

John Millward, Triumph 1300/1500 from 1965 ~ 1973, Car Repair Manual, Autodata, 1980, ACRM277, ISBN 0-85666-049-3.

By simply referring to the aforementioned electrical circuit wiring diagram, I have so far found it impossible to determine the intended purpose of the ammeter, as fitted to the FWD Triumph 1300!?! To have any hope of this, I would need to monitor the ammeter readings, whilst operating the various electrical systems of a FWD Triumph 1300.

Most ammeters used for automotive applications, are of the internal-shunt variety, whereby the low-resistance current-shunt is actually mounted inside the gauge-housing and external connection terminals to the gauge are of a heavy-duty, high-current type. However, there are remote-shunt (i.e. external-shunt) varieties of ammeter available (including some from Lucas, about which I learned many years ago), for which the low-resistance current-shunt is mounted remotely, outside the gauge-housing and external connection terminals to the gauge are of a light-duty, low-current type, because the gauge windings themselves take only a low current.

Although typically more expensive than internal-shunt ammeters, remote-shunt ammeters are the most versatile for the following reasons:

1) They enable one to monitor current flow without significantly modifying an existing wiring loom or needing to use very-long extra sections of heavy-duty, high-current cable.

2) They enable one to monitor current in circuits which are in a location remote from where the gauge itself is mounted

3) They enable one to use a single gauge to monitor current flow in different parts of an electrical system, by switching by means of a two-pole, multi-throw switch, the gauge’s electrical connections from a current-shunt in one location & circuit to another current-shunt in any other different location & circuit.

In principle, it should be possible to convert an internal-shunt ammeter into a remote-shunt ammeter, which is what I intend to do with one or more of the cheap new-old-stock, 52 mm VDO Cockpit style, -30~0~30A, -50~0~50A & -60~0~60A, internal-shunt ammeters that I bought for my rear-engined, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan. I might do the same thing with the D~0~C ammeter of my FWD Triumph 1300 triple-gauge cluster.

Having a remote-shunt ammeter with multiple switched current-shunts, would enable one to monitor whether the battery was charging or discharging and whether the generator was approaching its maximum sustainable current load.

1968~79 VW Type 2, voltmeter & remote-shunt ammeter circuits

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album ... id=1982288

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album ... id=1982289

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

Last edited by naskeet on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:23 pm 

Quote:
Yep I see the point, was wondering about its legality though, especially if it caused an accident.

I am finding more people brake-testing than tail-gating, especially on my weekly run from Surrey to South Wales. Which is very annoying when I am generally keeping to speed limits and NOT tail gating. Also there are the "I can't bear being overtaken so I will speed up as you get level with me " bunch of idiots, who then slow down again if I acquiesce to their foolery.

Death ray button is the only answer!
Anyone not obeying the TWO-SECOND rule on a dry, well-surfaced road could legitimately be regarded as tail-gating, irrespective of whether they comply with the speed limits.

Anyone not obeying the FOUR-SECOND rule on a wet, well-surfaced road could legitimately be regarded as tail-gating, irrespective of whether they comply with the speed limits.

Anyone not obeying the TEN-SECOND rule on an icy or hard-packed snowy, well-surfaced road could also probably legitimately be regarded as tail-gating, irrespective of whether they comply with the speed limits.

In New Zealand, failing to stop within the available distance is deemed as a motoring offence, punishable by a significant fine and demerit points on one's driving licence. Following too close, even without a collision involved, is also an offence :)

Back in the mid-1980s, I had a hair-raising ride as passenger, in my then manager's company 2.8 litre Ford Granada, in which he was tail-gating the car in front at nearly 100 mph, at a following-distance that might have been considered appropriate at less than 30 mph. As we should all know, minimum braking distance and the kinetic energy that the brakes have to dissipate as heat, is proportional to the square of one's speed!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:41 pm 

Smith’s style gauges manufactured under VDO ownership

Looking through my archived, 64-page, British 1992 edition, VDO Automotive & Industrial Products Catalogue (Autocat 925 | VDO Special Products, Holford Drive, Holford, Birmingham, B6 7UG, England), I found on Pages 50 to 63, various industrial, commercial vehicle and sports car gauges, manufactured at their factory in Caerbont in South Wales, to Smith’s original specifications as follows, which I had recently posted in The Samba Literature Archive (mainly concerned with literature pertaining to classic Volkswagen vehicles and accessories):

Introduction – Page 50

Commercial Vehicle & Industrial Instruments – Pages 51~54

Traditional Sports Car Range – Pages 55~57

Corresponding Gauge Senders – Pages 58~59

Switches – Page 60

Accessories – Page 61

Wiring Diagrams – Pages 62~63

All of the pages in this catalogue, which include the VDO Cockpit & Proficockpit range, were and still are popular for classic VW-Audi cars, can be accessed at the following Internet link:

1992 VDO Products Catalogue, Stockist List and Price List

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/li ... atalog.php

In my 1973 model-year VW “1600” Type 2 Kombi based Westfalia Continental motorcaravan, I have several examples of the VDO Cockpit range of accessory gauges (see Pages 5 to 8); many of which have been bought as modestly-priced, new-old-stock items.

Nigel A. Skeet