The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Team Triplex 10/20 1979
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:01 pm 
TDC Member

Found a fun video on Youtube of Gerry Marshall racing a Sprint, great bit at the end from 14 minutes on or so, and you get to see an angry Andy Rouse after some interesting driving by Lanfranchi that definitely exceeded track limits!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:05 pm 
TDC Member

Great vid , got me watching a few more with Gerry :thumbsup:

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:13 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Forgive me for reviving an older threat but that's an excellent video. Particularly enjoyed the 'launch footage' circa 9:30 (what a sound!)

I spotted this Andy Rouse Q&A (web) and thought would share:

Q: Hi Andy, my favourite car you raced was the Dolomite Sprint. Did you enjoy racing them and what was the reaction at the time with the other car manufacturers when you won? (I appreciate its going back over 40 years!)

A: The Dolomite Sprint was a favourite car of mine because it was a challenging car to prepare and to race. It was the only saloon car at the time with a 2ltr 16 valve engine which was a plus but making it reliable for racing was not so easy. We had to produce special engine blocks, head gaskets, head bolts, water pump, pistons, crank damper to name but a few. The chassis was tricky to set up because the car had a high rear roll centre and always wanted to oversteer, which was OK for me having learned to race on grass tracks. The worst feature was the lack of brakes. It had tiny un-vented front discs which burned out in no time, so we had to resort to high tensile steel discs instead of iron, brake pads made from aircraft brake pads and we fitted ceramic insulators in the caliper pistons. The rear brakes had American sintered metal linings and drilled brake drums. One of the great things about the Sprint was the overdrive gearbox which we converted and uprated so we had six gears and a paddle type gear shift. It was fun to drive because you could power slide it out of a corner then flick the high beam switch and change gear.

source: https://olivermylesmarketing.co.uk/2019 ... -responds/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:52 pm 

Despite several Internet searches during recent years, I have still yet to find the technical specifications of the Triplex 10/20 windscreens, which I was once told many years ago, sometime during the 1980s, that this combined the advantages of both toughened and laminated windscreens!?! So far as I am aware, such windscreens are no longer available for either the Triumph Dolomite or other British made cars, to which Triplex 10/20 windscreens were factory-fitted, of which I think the Austin Princess was one.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:05 pm 
TDC Member

Cracker :D

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:13 am 

2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T Manual!!
2021 Toyota Yaris GR-Four
2011 Super Skoda Fabia 1.2 S HTP

Gone but not forgotten 2008 BMW M5 (E61) Touring (George, as in Best, as it likes a Drink) to be replaced soon...... Epic epic car