The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VW immobiliser problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:58 pm 
TDC Member

The immobiliser keeps cutting in and stops me starting a 2000 Golf Mk4 TDi. I have tried using both keys and the car starts and then cuts out which is what the immobiliser is supposed to do. RAC has removed the fault codes and it keeps coming back. Joining the battery cables together after removing them from the battery drains any voltage and resets everything to get it going again which is great but a pain in the backside at the side of the road.

Anyone know if this is the ECU and can the immobiliser be disconnected/removed as the car is not worth much anyway but we want to keep it going ?

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:35 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Theres a common fault on most VW group stuff of this era, my 99 Octavia suffered from it too....
Round the ignition barrel is a reader module thats connected with two twisted pair signal wires up to to the instrument panel where the signal from the key is decoded and the immobiliser switched off. These wires degrade, it usually happens after the adjustable steering column has been moved for the first time in ages (the failing wires finally break with the movement).
Battery off. Remove the steering column plastic shouds and you will see the reader round the ignition keys, also the two twisted pair cables - from memory they are green and white but it will be very obvious as they are the only wires that go to the reader.
Remove the instrument cluster - and then trace the wire from the reader to the plug at the back of the instrument cluster. You will have to cut away a little insulation from the main loom to expose it all but its easy enough. Cut the wires ONE AT A TIME as close to the instrument cluster and the reader plugs as possibe and solder in some fresh cable - make a decent job of the soldering, its important. Insulate all the new cables and plug the instrument cluster back in, then refit the trim, battery back on and test. My Octavia was done like this over 2 years ago and has been no trouble since. Dont be upset if you dont see any visible deterioration in the cables when you expose them, mine looked perfect visually but renewing them cured it....
Good luck
Matt.