The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Jaguar XF locking issue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:50 pm 
TDC Member

I have a Jaguar XF Sporting brake 2013 and the tailgate suddenly won't lock. It goes up and down ok and the soft close looks like it moves it the last part but when you try and lock it, it won't. Pressure with my knee on the bottom of the tailgate and it locks. Without doing this the motor whirrs to pull it shut but then it whirrs a second time and does not lock.

I assumed it was alignment but no amount of moving the whole tailgate or the latch improves things.

I can't find any info on how the tailgate registers its shut or in the right position. I can't see any contacts and wondered if the struts have something in them ?

Anyone worked on these ?

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:27 am 
TDC Member

Hi Mike
Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but I had a 2012 Sportbrake from 2014 until a year ago. When I came to buy it, it had exactly the same fault, but the dealer had it fixed before I took delivery. Sounds like either a huge coincidence or it is a known issue. Mine simultaneously had a fault with the self levelling rear suspension not working. From memory I was told the issue was electric/electronics. Neither reoccurred while I owned it.

I've had a few Jags over the years (still have two) and have always got answers / help from the two forums, that both have model specific forums. Suggest you try these:
www.jaguarforums.com (the UK based one) or
www.jaguarforum.com (the USA based one)

I had the 2.2 diesel, used it for commuting as well as towing the Dolomite racecar all around the country. Excellent car all round. Sorry to see it go.

Geoff

Attachments:
IMG_0139A.JPG
IMG_0139A.JPG [ 245.15 KiB | Viewed 978 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:43 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Geoff. I don't think it is a common issue going on internet searches but door locks are a know issue with the solenoids packing up. Great to see the picture. I have a 3.0D and it's very quick and would give lots of pulling power. I didn't know it had a tow bar fitting as standard but mine doesn't have the plug in ball so I need to find one. Where do your electrics plug in ?
I will try the Jag forum and see if they know of the tailgate issue.

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:23 am 
TDC Member

Prior to it being sold and brought to NZ, my car was owned by Jaguar Cars. While it was theoretically a SE Business model, it had been fitted with every conceivable extra and upgrade, so that included the factory detachable towbar and wiring. There was a removable cover in the middle of the black part below the rear bumper, pull that off and there was where the swan neck shaped towball fitted in and next to that was an round plug in socket for the electrics, unusual in that it had 13 pins so I had to buy an adaptor so I could attach my 7 pin trailer. The towball was stored under the boot floor, along with the compressor for mending punctures (no spare wheel).
I know a towbar & electrics is an expensive Jag extra . Looked almost the same as the current part for the latest XF

Attachments:
XF towbar.png
XF towbar.png [ 57.21 KiB | Viewed 895 times ]