The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shot Blast Cabinet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm 
TDC Member

I'm looking to get a shot blasting cabinet, just a small one. I've seen a couple but both have a minimum requirement of 10 CFM. My compressor is one of those Power Craft items from Aldi but it is only 9.5 CFM. I know it's close but I have been advised that my compressor won't be suitable. I was just wondering if anyone has or is using a shot blast cabinet with a lower than recommended CFM compressor? I don't really want to fork out for a new compressor as well.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject: Re: Shot Blast Cabinet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 pm 
TDC Member

I had a 3hp compressor and that struggled with a blaster.
However, using a bigger tank would help, something like a big calor gas cylinder? (try the mig-welding forum for a how-to)

If you are not expecting miracles, and have patience, that should do the job. Or buy a second compressor and use them together. (probably a better solution)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:19 pm 
TDC Member

I have two blasting cabinets and one of the 5 gallon blasting "pots".

The small cabinet is like this one:

I have fine glass beads in it and use it for all the small stuff - brackets etc and also more delicate aluminium pieces. I have a Clarke Raider 50 compressor - 3HP, 14 CFM, twin cylinder direct drive with a 50 litre tank. When using even the small cabinet it struggles, the compressor runs all the time and it is noisy. Even if you start with a full tank the compressor cuts in after less than 2minutes. Blasting is not always a quick process so the compressor can easily be running for a long time if you have a pile of bits to do.

To be honest if you have a lot of blasting to do you need a bigger compressor. I have a 4HP (can't go much bigger on my single phase supply), 18CFM belt drive (quieter!) with a 100 litre tank I am building up as I am finding I am doing more and more blasting and also DA sanding!

I really think your 9CFM,( is that free air delivery or just compressor displacement - they are not the same thing!), will really struggle and the pressure will drop, which then means the parts take longer to blast clean, which means the compressor runs for even longer! It will work, but it will take a frustrating amount of time on anything other than a quick clean up, anything with heavy paint or rust will be a slow painful process, and I suspect the compressor will not live long before it seizes because it has got too hot.

To be honest the size of the blasting cabinet makes little difference. My compressor will drive the pot blaster OK as well. I just don't like it running continuously as it gets very hot!

If you do get a small cabinet like the one pictured then you NEED to modify it for vacuum extraction via a small cyclone filter, makes it run so much better and keeps it clear so you can see what you are doing. The so called filters on the Clarke cabinets are worse than useless and clog in minutes resulting in lack of visibility and also pressure in the cabinet which forces grit out of every orifice, this then means you have to wear goggles and a mask otherwise you end up with grit in your mouth and eyes, not pleasant. With the cyclone filter and decent vacuum cleaner you end up with negative pressure in the cabinet and absolutely no dust or grit escaping. The cyclone ensures the vacuum cleaner does not clog up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Dust ... SwuwBbUXOt

Cheap Chinese "rubbish" on eBay that actually works very, very well! :shock:

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 am 
TDC Member

I've got a 'fixer upper' one you could have if you wanted it.. Has all the gun etc. Needs a new filter, and the lighting is broken and removed.. Fairly small one (wouldn't get a wheel in there, probably would get a cylinder head in there). Recently had new gloves fitted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

If you can hang on a bit Mart I've got myself a 14 CFM compressor, medium sized cabinet and dust extractor. Still some plumbing and other setup to do but a couple more weekends should see it in action. You'd be welcome to try it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm 

Mart, one thing that will you need that is equally as important as the compressor is a good dust extractor/ collector.
I went through three different types before finding one suitable

the cabinet I bought is this one............
https://www.sandblasters.co.uk/sbc350-g ... -577-p.asp

And this collector....https://www.sandblasters.co.uk/stand-al ... -224-p.asp

the smaller cyclone ones are near to useless with constant use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:42 pm 
TDC Member

A big thank you to geeksteve who has just delivered a lovely shot blast cabinet, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip on the dust extractor TrustNo1.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450