The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: After the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:32 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

I regularly get pm’s about ignitions and 123 ignitions and conversions and If I know who does these. I spreaded a lot of words about this here on the forum and these can all be found here and I won’t repeat here now in this post.

It isn’t that difficult to do yourself but when people do wan’t to have it perfect I totally understand they wan’t to have it done in The Netherlands aldough some conversions have my doubts.

But that’s not the message. As the UK is non EU and is now ‘rest of the world’ all other countries have to export without VAT. And the UK also. Rimmerbros sends all the parts without VAT all over the world. Also to private persons as there’s no difference anymore.
It’s not like the old VAT rules within EU companies but just general import export rules. The enduser pay’s the VAT in the country of delivery at their customs.

I see people paying hughe amounts for 123’s but make sure it is send without VAT and you don’t pay for it when ordering in The Netherlands. No VAT over the 123, not over the labour and not over the shipping costs. When they do charge, just mention because most don’t know. Some do know and you pay and have a VAT on your invoice and in their papers its an extra 20% bonus profit..

Me as company do order in the UK and most companies do know or are still in EU mode and just continue sending VAT exempt invoices to me as it should. But you as private persons don’t have to pay VAT either now since Brexit.

Watch you invoices and know what to pay for.

Jeroen

Post subject: Yes.....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:29 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The enduser pay’s the VAT in the country of delivery at their customs.
Indeed you can do it that way, but
it is cheaper, easier and quicker to pay the duty on despatch.
In other words, check whether the seller's postage charge includes duty or not.....

Ian.

Post subject: Re: After the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:36 pm 

The courier can arrange at costs, not a seller. When you buy including vat and import then it's vat again at the customs over the total again.

You can't pay UK vat already in NL. The seller has to invoice without vat otherwise you pay twice. The second time vat over vat also.

Jeroen

Post subject: Well…
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:34 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
You can't pay UK vat already in NL.
That puts the Dutch at a considerable disadvantage if you cannot pay UK import duty in advance?

I haven’t bought anything from the EU since we left (simply because I haven’t needed to),
so don’t know if this only applies to the Netherlands?
Looking online it seems not….?

Ian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:56 pm 
TDC Kent Area Organiser

I got battered for £135.00 of VAT for an item I brought from Holland a few weeks back.

The vendor did not include VAT on their invoice, but UBS wanted payment prior to releasing the package to me in the UK.

It’s painful and does make items that bit more expensive. The joys of Brexit.

Richard.

Post subject: Re: Well…
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:08 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
You can't pay UK vat already in NL.
That puts the Dutch at a considerable disadvantage if you cannot pay UK import duty in advance?

I haven’t bought anything from the EU since we left (simply because I haven’t needed to),
so don’t know if this only applies to the Netherlands?
Looking online it seems not….?

Ian
You can never pay your own countries VAT in another country. These are no new rules but now apply to you Brits also as non EU. When I buy something in Swiss that isn't EU I have to pay VAT at import in NL. It's the same as buying parts in th USA. VAT is paid at import at the customs in the country of the end user. As a Brit it's paying in the UK.

Paying up front is a business earning model of couriers. You pay upfront the VAT to the courier AND their fees to arrange so the courier does pay the VAT at import in the UK for you so no delay's or hassle at the delivery. There's no such thing of paying VAT in front at the customs or already in the country of the seller.

The only warning is that make sure your invoice is VAT exempt buying in any country as at your customs you pay VAT of the total of the invloice including shipping. So When you buy in any country over the world, you don't have to pay VAT in the sellers country and make sure of that. If there's VAT on the invoice you pay VAT in the UK again over the VAT what you paid in the sellers country also.

I'm familiar with these rules as I buy all over the world but maybe a few of you don't know that there's no VAT has to be paid anymore after your Brexit buying in another country. Take your advantage and watch your invoices before paying buying outside the UK.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:18 pm 

Quote:
I got battered for £135.00 of VAT for an item I brought from Holland a few weeks back.

The vendor did not include VAT on their invoice, but UBS wanted payment prior to releasing the package to me in the UK.

It’s painful and does make items that bit more expensive. The joys of Brexit.

Richard.
No it doesn't matter. Or you did pay the VAT in NL and not in the UK when in the EU. Now outside the EU you don't pay VAT in NL but in the UK. The EU agreements were to make things simple for private persons only pay VAT when buying. Not country related.

Now you still pay the VAT but now in your own country and some fees when you have it arranged by a courier.

As a company nothing changes. It's still VAT free inbetween countries and only the end user pay's the VAT. My customers. The only thing is I have to pay at import and receive it in return. When you were in the EU it was just not paying VAT at all inbetween companies. The same result but now it's one operation extra.

Jeroen

Post subject: Okay........
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:09 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry Jeroen, for us in the UK you are incorrect about the prepayment option..

please read this UK government explanation
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
It is very clear...

You pay VAT when you buy the goods or to the delivery company before you receive them. If you have to pay VAT to the delivery company, it’s charged on the total package value, including:

the value of the goods
postage, packaging and insurance
any duty you owe

Thanks,

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:54 am 

Quote:

It is very clear...

You pay VAT when you buy the goods or to the delivery company before you receive them. If you have to pay VAT to the delivery company, it’s charged on the total package value, including:

the value of the goods
any duty you owe

Thanks,

Ian
I think you don't read correct. Ordering abroad you alway's pre pay or after pay to a courier. Those do arrange the VAT for you in the UK at the customs and most ask fees. When you have something in the back of your car you pay the VAT yourself at the customs or are billed for these.

You just can't pay UK VAT in an other country than as the UK.

Jeroen

Post subject: Re: Okay........
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:38 am 

Quote:

It is very clear...

the value of the goods
any duty you owe

Thanks,

Ian
I did make a post which has for some reason disappeared saying I buy alcohol form Holland and you get the option to pay VAT at point of sale if its over a certain value or when receiving the item, I opt for the paying when received option as some packages seem to get missed by customs so I don't get the VAT bill.
this isnt a way to avoid paying it just means they have a few months to send me a VAT invoice.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:43 am 

Quote:
The courier can arrange at costs, not a seller. When you buy including vat and import then it's vat again at the customs over the total again.

You can't pay UK vat already in NL. The seller has to invoice without vat otherwise you pay twice. The second time vat over vat also.

Jeroen
Not the case, you either pay the seller or you pay when delivered, you will not get charged twice if the paperwork is correct I have done this several times since the new rules came into force .

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:20 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Jeroen
Not the case, you either pay the seller or you pay when delivered, you will not get charged twice if the paperwork is correct I have done this several times since the new rules came into force .
So the UK thinks it's fine their VAT does stay in the EU? Paying VAT to the seller does mean the VAT does stay in NL and not going to the UK as you can't pay your countries VAT in a different country. Have the buyers choose where to leave their UK VAT money??
When looking at the total import of the UK of all goods and half of the VAT would be paid in the country of origin that would be a massive loss of VAT income.
In that case I guess the UK would be very eager to have all VAT of the exported goods so that VAT would stay in the UK but that is not. All what goes outside the UK no VAT is payed over these products by foreign buyers. Not my gasket orderering at Rimmerbros and no VAT over all exported Rangerovers and Jaguars all over the world....

Paying VAT in front is paying UK VAT to the courier in front and not to a foreign seller. The courier does arrange at your customs.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:16 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeroen
So the UK thinks it's fine their VAT does stay in the EU? Paying VAT to the seller does mean the VAT does stay in NL and not going to the UK as you can't pay your countries VAT in a different country. Have the buyers choose where to leave their UK VAT money??
When looking at the total import of the UK of all goods and half of the VAT would be paid in the country of origin that would be a massive loss of VAT income.
In that case I guess the UK would be very eager to have all VAT of the exported goods so that VAT would stay in the UK but that is not. All what goes outside the UK no VAT is payed over these products by foreign buyers. Not my gasket orderering at Rimmerbros and no VAT over all exported Rangerovers and Jaguars all over the world....

Paying VAT in front is paying UK VAT to the courier in front and not to a foreign seller. The courier does arrange at your customs.

Jeroen
I didn't make the rules nor can I do anything about the law or how shipping works, I'm just telling you based on my personal experience of ordering and receiving items from abroad.