The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 pm 
ummm yes the number plate is a weird thing, on the astras original bumper the reg sat straight but on this bumper it sits wonky, so i think its a bumper thing not a reg thing.

As for the original style of plates then it will be getting some period style plates at some point, the rear one is the one fitted to the car when we got it in 95, to if its the original i dont know!

Nathan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 pm 
TDC Member

Just picked up PC magazine yesterday and your Astra jumped out when I opened the page! Congrats on a job well done, nice to see that the Triumph's rear made an appearance as well in the main pic! That red paint looks resplendent indeed. Should have held on to my 1984 beige 1.2 Kadett D Caravan (estate), that was the car that replaced my old Dolomite 1300 over 18 years ago after rust put it off the road for good, it even made a trouble free trip to Coventry and Kenilworth from Limerick, Ireland back in 1995 (visiting relations and a good friend who had landed a job there after we finished college together). The Kadett was sweet mechanically but the bodywork and electrics were pants - makes me appreciate what you had to do to the Astra! Very rare to see any Astra/Kadett hatchbacks at vintage shows here, and have not seen any Kadett D Caravan/estates at all. I remember my Aunt buying a brand new black 1.2 Kadett hatchback (with the round headlamps) back in May 1982, just like your car, she sold it when she went teaching abroad in 1983, saw it in Galway city very regularly until approx 1993.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:39 pm 
TDC Member

I've just been browsing Practical Classics and I see we can vote for the Best Restoration Project of 2012.
Now ...Lets see. How about this Number 6; A Mark 1 Vauxhall Astra.
No Contest . :D
Well Done Nathan.

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am 
I have just given this thread a very thorough once over and WOWZERS... :shock:

This is just stunning! It is great to see a mundane, everyday motor restored to such a high standard. I mean that in the nicest possible way of course as this is probably rarer than any Ferrari or Porsche that is worth in excess of silly 6 figure amounts...!

Seeing something like this done to factory fresh spec' is a delight and I hope this gets what it deserves in the PC competition (although competition is pretty stiff there)...

Top work, well done :wink:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13