The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:49 pm 
TDC Member

Keep going Nathan!

It is a pain having to remove the exhaust and petrol tank, but only sensible to do so.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 pm 
Nice work Nathan, I love these old Astra's.

Keep up the good work. Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. Years....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 am 
Mate, if life in a cast wasn't looming then I would have spent a day up there with you.

The bits could be worse, the main hassle, as you said.... is taking the exhaust and tank out. The repairs don't look like they would faze you, they look pretty straightforward shape and contour-wise.

Have a couple of days way from it and then have a good think about the best way of doing it. You'll be fine, honest. Would you like me to order the additional 3 cans of paint?

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 am 
What are you worried about? :) Youve done the front really well, like Malc said finish the front off then move on to the other bits.

You can do it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm 
Thanks for the replies chaps!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Quote:
Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. Years....
This is one of the reasons i really want to do it so much, there great motors and like you say you never see one, they are around but modified in a big way!!

Iv been out today and bought some supplies for it and seeing the front test painted has helped with a bit of the " light at the end of the tunnel" feeling

I thought the tank would have to come out as the filler neck sits really close to the arch which needs replacing, i was hoping it wouldn't have to but atleast i can check the condition of it and it will be safer etc etc
Quote:
It might be worth finishing the front end welding and final fit up before turning attention to the rear, then you have got one completed job and one not completed as opposed to two not completed
Quote:
like Malc said finish the front off then move on to the other bits.
Ypur both right, the front end panels are only placed on at the moment and the innerwings need work and rebuilding at points.......will finish that off first!!
Quote:
Stick at ait, an accomplished restorer such as yourself will soon have it done
Thanks Malc, never thought id have that sentance said to me :lol: cheers!!

Its got to be done.....Iv been waiting 11 years todo this....just wish i had done a better job of it when i was 15!!

Nathan :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:53 pm 
Stop yer bloody whingeing and get on with it man! :roll: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Running away...........verrrrry quickleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:54 pm 
Im waiting for you to be in plaster before i catch you....which i will :bash: :bonk:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 pm 
Swine!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:36 am 
Done anymore to it this weekend mate?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:47 pm 
well...progress!!

Dave came down on Saturday and we managed to get the tank out, what a b'stard that was, dont help having such little space, but its out and now i can crack on with the body work!!

First to go on sunday was the wheel arch followed by the rear corner where all i was grinding was filler :roll: then the sill which just fell off really, to say it was rusty is an understatement, im supprised it even stayed on the car!!

the inner structure isn't to bad, the sill reinforcer will need building up at the bottom but the main innersill seems solid!!

Iv got to take the Doors off to enable me to fit the sill properly, sounds easier that it is, they have roll pins in the hinges which wont budge, i havent got the room in the garage to open the door fully so getting to the hinges is some what restricted....lesson learnt!! so the passenger side will be removed before it goes in the garage the t'other way round!!

Some photos of some progress!!

Just the edge of the outter arch removed, inner looks ok and should be a simple repair!

Rear corner slightly removed, didn't want to go to far untill i get the panel

Sill removed, you can see the old one there just happily rotting the car!!

New panel placed on the car, will need alot of trimming before i finally fit it!!

The piles of rust just from these sections removed!

Floor seems solid apart from this little bugger and his mate on the other side!!

Now for anyone willing to help with the resto, you can purchase a peice of rust of the car complete with a certificate of authenticity...all for 50p, im only limiting buyers to 2 peices each due to the demand!! (if this works ill be rich as the whole car is rusty :lol:)

Im off work on thursday and im hopeing to weld the front end together and start cleaning up the sill etc

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm 
TDC Member

Chicken wire...classy. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:53 pm 
TDC Member

That is pretty nasty, Nathan, but probably typical of Astras (indeed FWD Vauxhalls in general).

Around twenty years we put a few Vauxhalls off for scrap. The mark one Cavaliers usually had engine problems but decent bodyshells whereas the FWD ones were good runners but rotten!

An early Astra is a rare sight nowadays.
Looking forward to seeing your Astra's resurrection.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 pm 
Quote:
That is pretty nasty, Nathan, but probably typical of Astras (indeed FWD Vauxhalls in general).
Indeed you are most right, this beast is nasty to terms of rot!! The Astra always go around the bulkhead, rearcorners, and the innerwings, sills and floorpans dont fair well either so another way of putting it is if you dont look after it from new you will soonhave nothing but a good pile of rust on your drive, i think alot of it is down to weather protection...ie lack of it!!

Iv had a few days off work so today i treated myself to a day on the car, the front end is now all back together apart from to bits that still need doing but the front valance and headlight panels are in and iv repaired the innerwing on the drivers side, all the joins will be seam sealed before any painting starts, everything went in really nice and easy, panel gaps arnt as good as on the Triumphs but its not to bad!!

Piccies!!

Front end in its worst state

..............................But now....v v v

all welded now....even my home made H/light panel on the passenger side looks ok!!

Still got to rebuild the innerwing.....as you can see behind the H/light panel

Which has been done on the drivers side

All joints will be seam sealed!

Biggest problem with this, like most old cars is that its been bodged everywhere, i admit i have done some as a 15yr old with no knowledge but im finding bits that have been done a long time before i got the car!! so back on it tomorrow, aiming to finish off the innerwing and start on the sill/wheelarch/rear corner!! plan is to work down one side of the car, turn it around and work along the other side!!

Nathan :D :D (still happy)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 pm 
hiya mate. the work you have done so far looks brilliant. good to see the pics at last. as soon as i can drive, i will pop up to help you out for a day. ok. mind you, it'll probably be done by then.

ken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

BRAND NEW, N.O.S. aftermarket exhausts in stock for these beauties, PM me if you're interested. Cheap Cheap Cheap!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next