The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: where to get paint from
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:44 pm 
Hey i have a sky/baby blue 1500 fwd(paint code 116), was just wondering where the best place to look for paint is? i need to do some touch up on the arches an the bottom of one of the doors as wel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:11 pm 
Any paint factor can make that from the formula that the number will throw up on their system.
Ice Blue is 116, which yours is.
Halfords, of all people, made a very good job of putting some Sienna Brown into aerosols for me, their mixed acrylic stuff was indistinguishable from the cellulose that I already had. I've had them mix some French Blue as well, and that was another perfect match.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:58 pm 
there should be a paint shop near you (where are you?) or go to local independant car repair place and ask them where you can get some, if you are after brush on paint then they may make a tin up for you.
I just bought 1/2 lite of celly french blue for a fiver and it is a near perfect match.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 pm 
What a helpfull bunch we are eh?
Wonder if he found the paint.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
What a helpfull bunch we are eh?
Wonder if he found the paint.
Indeed, I'll be using this advice as the paint on mine is going orange peely, cracking and in places just falling off.

Cheers guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:33 am 
You're lucky with Sandglow; that's still available in off-the-shelf aerosols at half the price of the bespoke ones, as are Russet, Vermillion, both Pageant blues...... :(

:D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:33 pm 

:bluewave: Any one know the paint code for pagent blue.How much paint does a dolly take to have a total respray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 pm 
There were two BL Pageant Blues, I think that the one used on Dolomites was the second, brighter one, the code isn't on my list here as it was published in 1971. That colour is current from '78 to '80.

If that's what's needed, it's the one that's stocked at Halfords, Kwik-Fit shop, Charlie's, A1, Cafco, Marble Arch etc.
Halfords will generally point you to it before taking more of your folding for the mixed to order service. They'm good that way. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm 
TDC Member

The Pageant Blue Halfords have on the shelf is actually the wrong one... I used a can to paint over the patches of primer on the roof of my Sprint - it's a close enough match (it'll have a vinyl roof over it soon so I wasn't too picky!), but if you were touching up bodywork you'd probably notice the difference.

Likewise with the Brooklands Green - it's the modern MGF colour and is a couple of shades off. My 1500 has the Halfords paint on the nose, it's actually dulled in a bit now so not so noticible, but it'll get a coat of the correct shade sometime!

Halfords will mix to your paintcode though, but I've always found local motor factors to do a nicer quality paint. Ken has a good source for mixed cans in North London!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6