The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:45 pm 
Here is a pic of my Ignition Coil. My question is what to do about the wires that were attached to the ballast? I've got a WB going to the negative side of the coil, a W going to the positive and the B and R are from my Magnetronic Ignition. My question is what should the black plug be connected to, it has two wires in it a KW (pink white) and a WY, these were attached to the ballast, but since it's a 12v coil they just hang there. How should they be wired if I'm not using a ballast?

Thanks in advance,
Lukasz

Attachments:
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg [ 17.55 KiB | Viewed 1553 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 pm 
At a guess, nothing. If that's the original wiring on the black plug, then one will be a 12v feed from the starter motor only when the engine is being cranked by the key, and the other the feed from the ballast resistor (6v unless the engine is being cranked). The wire on the -ve side of the coil will be going to your rev counter.
I've no idea about your Magnetronic, hopefully someone else will help. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:19 pm 
Looking at a wiring diagram it makes sense, looks like everything is where it should be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:20 am 
TDC Member

Does everything work? If so I'd just put some tape over the ends of the wires and get driving. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:21 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

It looks all right but the description in words would be like this...

12V nominal feed to coil plus and magnetronic power. Take the feed from the fuse box, ignition fed fuse and unfused side. I think thats the white in and green out...

Magnetronic other lead goes to the coil - and also the rev counter, which is white and slate grey.

It should run fine like that....mine do.

Just leave the orginal wires which should be the combined ballast bypass feed and ignition switch feed to the coil plus and the dangly lead with the in line connector for the points/condensor and rev counter to the coil minus. If you want you could use the inline connector to join to the magnetronic "signal" lead where the points lead would be. That would just leave the orginal coil plus connections floating. Hope that makes sense...come back if it doesnt.

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 am 
Quote:
It looks all right but the description in words would be like this...

12V nominal feed to coil plus and magnetronic power. Take the feed from the fuse box, ignition fed fuse and unfused side. I think thats the white in and green out...

Magnetronic other lead goes to the coil - and also the rev counter, which is white and slate grey.

It should run fine like that....mine do.

Just leave the orginal wires which should be the combined ballast bypass feed and ignition switch feed to the coil plus and the dangly lead with the in line connector for the points/condensor and rev counter to the coil minus. If you want you could use the inline connector to join to the magnetronic "signal" lead where the points lead would be. That would just leave the orginal coil plus connections floating. Hope that makes sense...come back if it doesnt.

Jonners
Makes sense, just one last question. If I'm running a 12v coil is there any need to still attach the feed from the starter motor? If the feed from the starter was to bring the coil to 12v while cranking and I'm already running 12v isn't having the feed from the starter redundant?