The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm 
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking around for several weeks now for a replacement sealed outer dip beam headlamp unit and I have come to the conclusion that they are pretty hard to comeby. So I have now decided (with some recommendations) that a Halogen conversion is probably the best way to go.

Is anybody able to give me info on:

-the parts I will need.
-approximate costs.
-how to actually carry out the installation.

I have done several searches and have found very little information. However, if there is a good site/page could someone send me a link?

Thanks in Advance,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:35 pm 
TDC Member

The headlights aren't that difficult to find. Most decent motor factors (ie, not Halfords!) would at least be able to order you one. Most of the usual parts suppliers have them, I got a Unipart branded one from Rimmers a while back. Alun had a box full of secondhand ones at TDCIR..

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:16 pm 
What Howard said, I've never had a problem getting hold of them :scratchin:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:31 pm 
Thanks for your responces.

Maybe it's just me then ... I must admit i haven't as of yet called anyone, but all the companies I have seen online and the items that are on ebay etc seem to only be the inner/main beam ones - which at present I don't need.

I've sent a PM to Alun to see if he has any second hand ones to get me going for time being.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:17 pm 
You might want to pm Triple Tango as he is about a nano-second away from you given your location and he might have a couple lying around.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
You might want to pm Triple Tango as he is about a nano-second away from you given your location and he might have a couple lying around.
..and also has a rather neat Halogen conversion on his Sprint ;)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 pm 
is it easy to do the conversion or wil it take an auto electrician ????

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 pm 
TDC Member

You should convert the wiring to use relays.

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 pm 
blimey that sounds dangerous to the amateur , do they come in a box with all the instructions etc etc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:26 pm 
I think we should ask JPB to give us a step by step guide,he has done a very neat job on his car 8) :bluewave:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:28 pm 
Thanks for all your replys and comments - its really appreciated.

I think for the time being I'm going to get a replacement sealed beam unit (found some at long last - with the help of this forum :D ) to get it through its MOT and when I have more time and money look into more detail on the halogen conversion.

A step buy step guide would be extremely helpful for future reference although I wouldn't like to drag anyone into something they didn't want to do.

Thanks again everyone,

Post subject: It .......
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:52 pm 
TDC Member

May be worth looking for a set of Jaguar XJ40 headlamps?

These Lucas units have a colossal cost if purchased new :shock: but last a long time, making secondhand
a viable option. However the lenses are flat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 pm 
Thanks Mike, and I haven't forgotten that some of you are still wanting a "plug & play" conversion kit that'll make your lights brighter and prevent switch meltdown.

I was hoping to give up the work I do with students and reduce the private workload, which would have meant that the relay kits, plus several repairs and restoration work to period radio/audio kit would have jumped closer to the top of the "to do" list, but hey, any port in a storm and the LEA is very generous with the fuel expenses. :lol:

The image shows the installation using modern, 40 Amp micro-relays which are very reliable and cheap, I have also supplied some kits with period-style Lucas-a-like relays in steel cans but they're three times as much as the plastic ones and frankly their looks aren't the only similarity they have with the '70s Lucas stuff.
There's a Maxi and a Marina going around locally with the wiring mod fitted, one has the modern relays and is proving reliable in a car that's used as regularly as my own Dolomite, the other owner insisted on the metal relays initially and I've now supplied him with yet another pair under warranty from the supplier I use.

Wiring can be supplied in plain colours or as an exact match for the Lucas codes, anyone who has sufficiently accurate colour vision to know the difference between - for example - purple and black can fit these to their own car, instructions are provided. It's also useful to be able to tell the difference between white and red when either of those are combined with blue.... :wink:

It's up to the car owner where they put the relays, mine are in that position simply because a handy hole had already been drilled there some time ago and the other was drilled to match. From above, without a spirit level, at night. :oops:

(Battery terminal insulating sleeve removed for the purpose of taking the picture, but I do have one, honest). :)
Quote:
Ferguson TE20...
Pictures please, we love classic tractors here. Don't we? :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 pm 
Thanks for posting that John - will be referring to that later this year.

Regarding the tractor I can post some pictures ... where would be best - on this topic or would it be preferable to create a new one somewhere else? :D

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking around for several weeks now for a replacement sealed outer dip beam headlamp unit
Maybe this link will help:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-DOLOMITE- ... 483f8d835e

Regards
Paul.