The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm 
A mixture of hard work and a degree of make it up as you go along. I must admit I was pretty shocked by the cruddy job that had been done by the supposed professionals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:51 pm 
Yeah, that was a poor do, but sadly, it's not altogether uncommon these days to find "professionals" who might well fit the definition in as much as it's how they earn their living but who have no interest in the long-term prospects of the cars they work on. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm 
According to the invoices I've got (going back to '75) the poor old fella had been charged almost 12 grand in the last ten years alone by the same garage! He had always used the same people so I guess he had a misguided sense of loyalty?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 am 
Quote:
According to the invoices I've got (going back to '75) the poor old fella had been charged almost 12 grand in the last ten years alone by the same garage! He had always used the same people so I guess he had a misguided sense of loyalty?
Blimey! :shock: Were they gold plating bits of the car for him or summit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 pm 
He was 90 odd when the old fella passed away and according to his daughter he wasn't the type to question a bill or invoice for anything. As he got older he got more confused and took everything at face value, he had no family immeadiatley close to him (distance wise) so there was no one to look out for him. Every year the garage saw him coming and from the end of the '90's they just started to take the pi55 more and more. When I bought the car and looked through the invoices with his daughter she was obviously shocked and upset by what he had been charged.

I've been equally shocked by the quality of work he got for he paid!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:55 pm 
That's just terrible :twisted: .

There are some wicked people in this world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 pm 
Too true Alan, it sickens me to think about this sort of abuse of a person's trust, perhaps more so because my parents are both approaching 80 now.

See if anyone tried that with Dad when he takes his car for servicing or repair work, he'd rip their head off! Sadly, however, not every pensioner is as sharp or as mobile as the old fella, himself a professionally qualified aeronautical engineer with a lifetime's varied experience behind him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm 
A few years ago we were having a shower installed, and the plumber insisted that he'd have to fit new, bigger pipes as it was more powerful than the previous shower - Grandad explained to him that it made no difference - and half an hour of arguing later the plumber left and we never saw him again; and Grandad installed the shower!

Can't pull the wool over his eyes :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:31 pm 
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS GARAGE PLEASE? LET NAME AND SHAME THEM ON HERE!

also well done on that wing mate, and welcome to the forum.

andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:16 am 
Quote:
:lol: Yes, you've made a lovely job of that wing. If only the previous "repair" had been dressed to that sort of standard. Was that a heat gun & freezer spray job or a bit of hard work?
Not that good a job, the filler I used is starting to lift which I guess is down to me maybe not mixing the filler up properly or just that filler is generally crap. Now I'd love to put two new wings on her and get the whole girl re-sprayed, however I'm no welder/bodyshopperupper so I'm wondering what alternatives I have? I've got a few ye olde car repair manuals and a dad who spent most of the early to mid 80's constantly having to do this and that on a Chevette (what a car, until I was about 9 I thought we had a Corvette!!!) so I'm thinking about ripping out the filler in the wings and filling it with lead or something like that....is that an option?

Any ideas/advice will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 am 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
Quote:
:lol: Yes, you've made a lovely job of that wing. If only the previous "repair" had been dressed to that sort of standard. Was that a heat gun & freezer spray job or a bit of hard work?
Not that good a job, the filler I used is starting to lift which I guess is down to me maybe not mixing the filler up properly or just that filler is generally crap. Now I'd love to put two new wings on her and get the whole girl re-sprayed, however I'm no welder/bodyshopperupper so I'm wondering what alternatives I have? I've got a few ye olde car repair manuals and a dad who spent most of the early to mid 80's constantly having to do this and that on a Chevette (what a car, until I was about 9 I thought we had a Corvette!!!) so I'm thinking about ripping out the filler in the wings and filling it with lead or something like that....is that an option?

Any ideas/advice will be appreciated.
Honestly? Learn to weld, you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am 
I might not regret it but my fingers/face/arms might but hey ho I'm sure I could give it go whats the worse that could happen?

I really need new wings the n/s wing looks like its got a fibreglass section above the wheel?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:36 pm 
Today's adventure was a trip into the world of alternator removal and replacement. The early signs look promising and the old girl fired up and did a Toledo's impression of a cat purring happily away. Anyhoo during some fiddlypokidy I think the temperature transmitter(??) came away from the thermostat (this is the only thing I think this wire can be), if I'm right does this mean the thermostat will be jammed open?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 am 
Right possibly a random question here but does anyone know of any classic car restoration type courses in the Bucks/Herts(west)/Berks kind of area. I've been looking as I would like to get more competent with the general up keep maintenance of my Tolly. I've had a look around but I haven't found anything, other than courses designed for more exotic cars than mine (yup a Tolly doesn't quite fit the exotic description).

Any help or points in a suitable direction will appreciated.

James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

What about a local college? The only place I know of that does such a course is Leeds City College which is unfortunately of no help to you. I'm sure a local college will be doing a welding course. A mate of mine went on a welding course when he was restoring his Herald. He ended up doing all of the bodywork on that car himself.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle