The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 am 
How do I remove the wooden door caps which need some tlc on my newest acquisition, after removal what is the recommended procedure to get them back to looking their best, any advice gratefully received, AJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:28 am 
take the door cards off first.

Carefully lever the trim around the sides so the retaining clips come out of the door.

Then press the window winder plastic thing in to reveal the small pin which secures it to the winder knob. Carefully rotate the winder so you can see the pin and it will either fall out or you can push it out with long nose pliers. Don't lose this pin ! I use two sets of pliers, one to wedge the plastic ring away from the handle, the other to probe for the pin. Putting it back is a pain, but once you've done 4 doors, you'll have perfected your own method :)

Then remove the grab handle, two philips head screws underneath. easy

the door card then pulls out at the bottom and slides out from underneath the wood capping.

You then can access the three (4 ?) small phillips head screws that hold the bottom of the capping to the door.

You also have to unscrew the black locking knobs so the capping can slide over the locking wires at the back end of the doors.

Then the capping slides up as there are clips that hold the top of the capping to the inside of the door.

Good luck refurbishing, a few threads on this if you do a search. The varnish/poly coating used by BL in the 70's was one of the hardest substances known to man. :lol:

stu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:40 am 
jaysus Stu that is one hell of a procedure. I will give it a go, thanks!! AJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 am 
LoL, it isn't really that bad, painful part is the window winder. Also be careful when pushing the cappings up off the door.

The sanding/stripping is the hard part. I'd do the dash and glovebox while I had the cappings off as well.

stu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Also be careful when pushing the cappings up off the door.
Especially the rear cappings. The rear bracket can be a pita to get out but don't try using the capping as a lever to get it out or you will crack the rear of the capping. Just hold it near the bracket & wriggle it.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 pm 
TDC Events Officer

RE: the pin on the window winder. It's an utter pig to replace, you may have a bit more luck with something like a paperclip cut in two and bent to shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm 
To replace the winder pin a bit of grease on the pin and a set of long nosed pliers, easy.
Oh and when taking the door card off take off the winder (which has a double spring behind it, this spring must be replaced) and undo the screws holding the grab handle BEFORE levering the card away from the door, if you try to do this before undoing the handles you can break the hardboard backing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 pm 
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Got all 4 off no problem and I now have the 4 doorcaps sanded down to bare timber ready for relaquering. AJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 am 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
To replace the winder pin a bit of grease on the pin and a set of long nosed pliers, easy.
If you have long nosed pliers and grease yes. If all you have is fat fingers and swearing, no. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 am 
Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Got all 4 off no problem and I now have the 4 doorcaps sanded down to bare timber ready for relaquering. AJ

I hope you haven't sanded through the veneer then? It is microscopicly thin.