The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm 
My 1300FWD is currently doing 36 mpg, and that's with a slightly sticking brake calliper, so I have slight braking forces to contend with. That was supposed to be done tonight, but I've run out of time again.

40mpg should be possible, so long as you don't drive with a lead foot :-"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

You 1300 drivers are a bunch of anglers...

Ive never got more that 35 and its usually nearer 30 cos it has to be flogged so hard to keep up.

Ive rarely got less than 35 on a run in an 1850 with o/d. The TR7 one is about the same.

If you cant get mid 30's from a slant there is something wrong with it.

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:28 pm 
Over the past 9540 miles Sheila has used 1338 litres of fuel for an average of 32.5mpg. Most of that has been local running around (less than 7 or 8 miles at a time) with 4 or 5 long trips, on which she was usually towing stuff. Best on one of those was 48mpg from Anglesey to Lichfield with a 350kg trailer tent attached.

So yes, mid-30s out of a 1300 is definitely possible :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:03 pm 
here's what i got when going to bridlington (filled up night before) with approx 2-3 quid of petrol left in the tank before filling. set off (needle was approx,one needle width of the 4/4 mark on the guage) so.. 160 miles to the northern dolly day,went to brid from there and went off to flamborough as it was rather busy at brid.. now done 188 miles.. and the drive back home "scenic route" topping 260 miles by the time we got home.
and still had just over quarter of a tank! and still didn't have to fill up for another 3-4 days of daily running in total covering 330-335 miles on £50!

must say,the roads we took to bridlington were mainly 60mph road.. so by sticking at 55mph all the way it certainly helped. giving an approx mpg of 44-46mpg (on average) with new points,condensor gap set correctly ignition timing setup and engine timing all set up bang on,carb setup correctly and new plugs. i do believe this helped (as we actually did this run 2-3 week after buying the car and was getting mid 30's for mpg so.. drive it right (nice and gentle with the throttle and make sure the above is all bang on) you could see good mpg.

rob