The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 pm 
Hi folks and thanks for the account activation!

I'm fond of classic cars, my favourites being Triumph (my dream car is a Stag). However, having only just learnt to drive in a Fiat Punto, I didn't expect to be getting a classic anytime soon. However, last night I was given a Toledo 1300cc, 4 door, in great condition. It's an ex-Triumph Demonstration vehicle, and has only had one previous owner (my friend, who gave it to me to restore). It's done ~22,000 miles, and aside from a small amount of rust on the right rear wing looks like its in good nick.

Suffice to say this isn't my car :P. Its in Triumph yellow, with black trim and I will post pics soon, as soon as I get my camera charged.

Anyway, as I'm new to the classic car scene I'm after some advice. There is some damage to the engine, and some scoring around it - that I assume I can sand down. The engine however needs either stripping down and rebuilding, or just replacing - haven't a clue what to do, any advice?

Should I try to get a new clutch for it and replace that whilst the engine is out?

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of parts/refurb work. Whilst I'd rather do most myself (eg cheaply), I haven't much of a clue about engines so will probably need some help.

I'm in Cambridge, so if anyone knows any local places, then even better.

TIA :)

Last edited by Russ on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:53 pm 
TDC Member

Replacement engines are easy and quite cheap to find. take a look on ebay (1300 engines for triumph spitfires will work too).

Some pictures of the damage would be good so we can see what you mean. Does the engine run?

The toledo is a great car to get into classics with. The engine is pretty simple and easy to work on, and most parts are fairly cheap. I hope you really enjoy it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:14 pm 
Thanks Dave, I'll hunt around the bay and see what I can find. The engine won't turn, but as I know little about engines, I'm not sure if its because the engine itself needs fixing, the battery is past redemption or what. The previous owner said that the Engine will most likely need reboring - whatever that means :P - or getting a recon/replacement would be even better.

I was just worried about which type to buy, I'm told Dolomite engines are too big? But as you say a Spitfire engine will work, I'll see if I can get a hold of one.

I'll also try seeing if I can get a new clutch. Now, there is no Haynes manual for the Toledo, would any other suffice (Spitfire possibly?)

Pics coming ASAP! :D

Edit: Found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Herald-Spitfire-D ... otohosting

Would that do? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:34 pm 
toledo 1300 and dolomite 1300 engines and gearboxes are the same.
most parts availble though the club .coughing up £26 for a years membership is well worth it.
when the engine is out doing a clutch change is a straight forward job.
good choice of car to restore ,nice a simple and when its done cheap to insure and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:38 pm 
TDC Member

Ebay is probably worth a look for the Haynes Manual as well, they turn up from time to time.

That's the right engine, but you should be able to find one running for less. There's a parts for sale section and a wanted section too on this forum which would be a good place to start.

The engine from a dolomite 1300 or 1500 will fit, the 1500 engine is a bit more powerful though. The biggest engines (1850 and Sprint 2 litre) need a few parts changing to fit them in the toledo, but it can be done.

The majority of dolomite 1300 parts are the same as the toledo, with the exception of bits around the boot area (different shape on the toledo).

It's probably worth seeing if the engine you have can be saved, it will be less hassle if there's nothing majorly wrong, as it is quite a lot of work to swap an engine. If you can get it running, it's much easier to see what else needs fixing.

When was the car last running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:49 pm 
The car was last running roughly 1 and a half years ago, when it passed its MOT, and has been garaged since.

As the engine has done such a low mileage, I think rebuilding it (if necessary) would be better then replacing it, I'm just really nervous about doing it.

I'll look for a Haynes, I presume a dolomite/spitfire one will do?

Thinking of replacing the hoses too, and changing the oil filter (thanks James), I'll have a look at joining the club and start to hunt on ebay a little more closely!

Thanks guys.

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0097637474 Any good?

Also I just realised - what battery do I need? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:02 pm 
Hello Russ :) (Lashout :D)

If it was running, it may be worth doing a good solid service (fluids, filters, hoses, plugs, leads, all consumables) of the engine and seeing where you stand ........Might suprise you how well it comes up 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:09 pm 
Hey Lewis - don't know if you replied or not but if you did, I think my work email server filters out @hotmail emails!

Thanks for showing me this forum btw :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 am 
Quote:
I'll look for a Haynes, I presume a dolomite/spitfire one will do?
Hi Russ,

Welcome to the "mad world of Triumph owning" :!: You can actually get a Haynes manual specifically for the Toledo model, which will probably be better than getting one for the Dolly/Spit. If you can, try and get hold of an actual workshop manual as well, as IMHO they are better laid out and a lot more in-depth than the Haynes manual.

Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 am 
I still have my 1300 dolomite which has an engine.. if I/you/anyone could get it out your more than welcome to have it.. I'm in Hertfordshire so it's not to far..

Phil

Last edited by Phil on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:40 pm 
Quote:
I [istill[/i] have my 1300 dolomite which has an engine.. if I/you/anyone could get it out your more than welcome to have it.. I'm in Hertfordshire so it's not to far..

Phil
Blimey, thats an offer I might well have to take you up on! Let me get back to you on that.

Am away in Paris until tuesday (for the marathon), so can't play with her this weekend :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:07 pm 
I've been saying its been going for the last month or so now so there is no hurry..

I'm just on my way out now, but I'll see if I can dig out the docs which give you the engine millage. I'd rather it was used than just thrown away..

Having said that, I am fiarly bad at organisation (which many who have asked me for bits will testify) so you may have to sit tight for a bit :oops:

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:47 pm 
Hi Russ, welcome to the forum and hopefully the Club.

Great cars these. I have one and also a 1300 Dolly. From what I remember of Phils car the engine and gear box were lowish mileage, however, I can't be trusted to remember what I had for lunch yesterday so don't take my word for it.

Joining the club WILL be the best thing you could do as the people on here/in the Club are absolutely brilliant. I have yet to meet a more helpful, generous, etc, etc, etc bunch of folk.

These cars are so straightforward to work on and are really nice to drive. You won't regret sorting out the bits and pieces - trust me.

Lots of help and advice freely given so don't be shy about asking 'silly' questions.

Cheers

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm 
Quote:
You can actually get a Haynes manual specifically for the Toledo model, which will probably be better than getting one for the Dolly/Spit. If you can, try and get hold of an actual workshop manual as well, as IMHO they are better laid out and a lot more in-depth than the Haynes manual.
If you do want to come get the engine at any point, I also have both of the above I'll no longer need..

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:15 am 
Cheers folks, getting the car looked at tomorrow by a friend who has recently rebuilt a spitfire!

@Ken - I will definitely be joining the club, always been a dream of mine to own a triumph, I just need to get her rolling sweetly now ;)

First silly question - what type of battery do I need? :D