The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Flasher Problems?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 pm 
Hi, I'm new to the Dolomite world. I bought a '79 1500HL recently and have been doing a bit of trouble shooting on it. There is a problem with the indicators I was hoping to get some advice on. When the engine isn't running the lights stay on rather than flashing, but when running they flash intermittently. I've changed the flasher unit, and after finding a fairly low charge on it - changed the battery, but still no joy. The hazards seem to work fine though! I'm thinking it could simply be a loose connection or poor earth?? Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed! Thanks, Phil

Post subject: Re: Flasher Problems?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:19 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Almost certainly a bad earth; you get a bit more voltage with the engine running. It's likely to be at the bulb holders, give them a rub with some sandpaper to clean them up and it should sort itself out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:20 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

There are two flasher relays, one for warning and one for direction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 am 
Welcome. I had a very similar problem recently. Cleaning-up the bulb holders, and driving out any moisture with WD40, seemed to do the trick. Other suggestions made when I raised a query included checking/cleaning the contacts for the indicator stalk. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:28 pm 
Hiya. :bluewave: Once you've cleaned up your contacts its well worthwhile upgrading to a modern design of flasher unit that uses electronics to switch rather than a bi-metallic strip. You'll have to run an additional earth to it but that is easy enough, you then get the same frequency of flash regardless of engine load, battery charge etc. Halfords do a suitable one but I can't remember the part number off the top of my head, someone else will I'm sure... :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 pm 
Thanks for the all the replies guys, excellent advice. I'll get on and clean those contacts and look into upgrading the relay. Cheers, P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 pm 
TDC Member

Just to add , the +12 V supply for the indicator circuit is routed via a set of contacts on the back of the hazard switch. Always worth a check to see if you have +12 V on the top of the column indicator switch.
HTH,
Tony.